‘Punarjani’ gives new lease of life to disabled flood victims in Kerala
February 21, 2019
In August last year, Kerala was hit by the most devastating floods of the century. Hundreds of people lost their lives and lakhs of people became homeless. The disabled community was especially hit hard, with many still homeless.
To help them out, the Divyang Foundation, an NGO headed by activist Prajith Jaipal and friends in Kerala, is reaching out to wheelchair users. They have collaborated with the Indianapolis Indian Malayali Association in the United States to sponsor wheelchairs to over 30 people. this will be distributed at the event Punarjani.
The event will be held on 3 March and the wheelchairs have been manufactured by the company Invacare.
The Kerala floods last year has left many wheelchair users in the dark. I live in Kozhikode which was least affected by the floods. But there are many people in places like Ernakulam and Alappuzha who are struggling to make ends meet. We have over 43 applications and we are trying to identify 30 from it. - Prajith Jaipal, Co-founder, Divyang Foundation
During the floods, the foundation provided basic amenities, beds and food to some teenagers from economically backward families near Kozhikode. Jaipal and his friends had planned for 'Punarjani' during that time and plan to hold the event at the Kochi Muziris Biennale venue.
"The Biennale Foundation has been very supportive. Punarjani is also a chance for wheelchair users to come out of their homes and witness an art festival like the Biennale. Most of the beneficiaries have not even come out of their rooms. We hope this will provide them with a great platform to check out one of world's biggest art festivals", says Jaipal.
Malayalam super star Suresh Gopi is the chief guest at the event, which will also be attended by Kochi Mayor Soumini Jain and District Judge Justice Shashindran.
Suhas Nambath, will also be a part of the event.
"When Prajith he spoke about this venture, I wanted to be a part of it", says Nambath, who is a volunteer with the NGO Palliative Care. "We have been reaching out to disabled flood victims in many ways. We are still looking into more ways to support them".
The Punarjini event is a great way to make a start.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Irfan signs up for Carribean Premier League players draft
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
- Accessibility May 20, 2019 Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Athlete Dutee Chand faces family expulsion for saying she is gay
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News