Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
February 18, 2019
A shutdown has been called in Kashmir after reports that people from the state have been targeted in different parts of India following the terror attack in which 40 people were killed. The Centre has issued an advisory to all the states o ensure their safety.
The CRPF soldiers were killed after a convoy was targeted by a Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) suicide bomber on the Jammu-Srinagar highway last week, triggering anger among the public.
There have been some reports of students and other residents of Jammu and Kashmir experiencing threats and intimidation in the wake of terrorist attack in Pulwama. Therefore, the MHA today issued an advisory to all states and union territories to take necessary measures to ensure their safety and security. Ministry of Home Affairs
In Dehradun, Uttarakhand, some Kashmiri students allege they have been asked to vacate their homes by landlords who fear attacks on their properties. This is also the case in Haryana and Bihar. In Patna, Kashmiri traders said they were attacked by a mob.
In Jammu many vehicles were set on fire and curfew has been clamped in the city for three days in a row. Government workers in Jammu said their homes and vehicles were attacked.
The CRPF has released a helpline number for people of the state, who are facing harassment. "Kashmiri students and general public, presently out of Kashmir can contact @CRPFmadadgaar on 24x7 toll free number 14411 or SMS us at 7082814411 for speedy assistance in case they face any difficulties/harassment," tweeted the CRPF.
Meanwhile the state government has withdrawn the security given to five separatist leaders. All the security and vehicles provided to them has been taken back and they will not be protected, said Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
"Some elements in Jammu and Kashmir have links with the ISI and terrorist organisations. Their security should be reviewed," said Singh after reviewing security in the state.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Exit polls predict comfortable win for BJP
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 This Pune-based centre aims to build awareness, fight the stigma around schizophrenia
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News