Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
February 18, 2019
A shutdown has been called in Kashmir after reports that people from the state have been targeted in different parts of India following the terror attack in which 40 people were killed. The Centre has issued an advisory to all the states o ensure their safety.
The CRPF soldiers were killed after a convoy was targeted by a Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) suicide bomber on the Jammu-Srinagar highway last week, triggering anger among the public.
There have been some reports of students and other residents of Jammu and Kashmir experiencing threats and intimidation in the wake of terrorist attack in Pulwama. Therefore, the MHA today issued an advisory to all states and union territories to take necessary measures to ensure their safety and security. Ministry of Home Affairs
In Dehradun, Uttarakhand, some Kashmiri students allege they have been asked to vacate their homes by landlords who fear attacks on their properties. This is also the case in Haryana and Bihar. In Patna, Kashmiri traders said they were attacked by a mob.
In Jammu many vehicles were set on fire and curfew has been clamped in the city for three days in a row. Government workers in Jammu said their homes and vehicles were attacked.
The CRPF has released a helpline number for people of the state, who are facing harassment. "Kashmiri students and general public, presently out of Kashmir can contact @CRPFmadadgaar on 24x7 toll free number 14411 or SMS us at 7082814411 for speedy assistance in case they face any difficulties/harassment," tweeted the CRPF.
Meanwhile the state government has withdrawn the security given to five separatist leaders. All the security and vehicles provided to them has been taken back and they will not be protected, said Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
"Some elements in Jammu and Kashmir have links with the ISI and terrorist organisations. Their security should be reviewed," said Singh after reviewing security in the state.
Watch in Sign Language
- Congress leader Sam Pitroda raises doubts on airstrike in Balakot
March 23, 2019
- At least 47 killed, over 600 injured in explosion in China
March 23, 2019
- BJP releases first list of candidates for elections
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Trailer of biopic PM Narendra Modi gets over one million views
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Headlines March 16, 2019 9 people of Indian origin missing in New Zealand mosque attack
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Need more movies to portray disability in a sensitive manner, say activists
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Kerala youngster Vijesh Vijayan wins battle for justice in Kerala High Court
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Disabled boy's long fight for a village school pays off, Prime Minister Modi's office intervenes
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News