New initiative called iDARE in Goa aims to fight for the rights of disabled people
February 21, 2019
Due to lack of awareness and support, people with disabilities often do not get their rights. Legal assistance can also be expensive and is one reason why disabled people avoid getting involved in legal matters.
To ensure that people with disabilities get what is rightfully theirs, an NGO called Initiative for Disability Awareness (iDARE) has been launched in Goa. This is an NGO started by people with disabilities and activists.
Among the founders is Anuradha Joshi, an activist and former disabilities commissioner, Goa.
While working in the person in the Disability Department, I realized that people are not getting their rights due to negligence, inefficiency and ignorance. Through iDARE we aim to change that and give people with disabilities information, awareness and support about their rights. - Anuradha Joshi, Activist
Through this platform, Joshi and others hope to bring together various groups working for the rights of disabled people. "Together we can create better understanding and build the support system that can change the lives of disabled people", says Joshi
The areas they can to focus on are education, employment, social discrimination, and accessibility. Another iDARE member, who wishes to remain unidentified because he works for the state government said sensitization is the main challenge.
"I work in a government department and suffer everyday due to lack of accessibility in the building. I use a wheelchair as I have muscular dystrophy and it is difficult for me to enter the building without assistance. Lack of sensitization is a major issue when it comes to implementation of facilities for welfare of people with disabilities."
Despite various rules and laws, red tape formalities and inefficiency come in the way of effective implementation. Perhaps a concerted effort like this where different groups come together and fight, will help bring a change.
"iDARE has been formed with the objective of providing representation and a voice to persons with disabilities", says Percy Cardozo, Member, iDARE. "I believe the organization has started with a right attitude but has a long way to go. We needed an organization that will take up disability issues and deal with them in a professional manner. I see iDARE playing a key role in this area in future".
Watch in Sign Language
- Differences in viewpoints must be respected. - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
August 26, 2019
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Kerala nun seeks justice from the Vatican
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Chandrayaan-2 enters Moon’s orbit
- Parasports August 26, 2019 National selection camp for wheelchair basketball underway in Chennai
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Former union Minister P Chidambaram in CBI custody until Monday
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Ex Minister Arun Jaitley is no more
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News