Kochi Metro gets thumbs up for accessibility features
February 20, 2019
It has been over a year since the Kochi metro started functioning. Undoubtedly, Kochi metro is the one of the most accessible metros in India today. They have got thumbs up for their exceptional and remarkable accessibility features that reach out to people with all kinds of disabilities.
Some of their noticeable features are disabled friendly ticket counters with lowered windows, wheelchair ramps at all station entrances, exits and platforms, safety docking facilities inside the trains, wide AFC gates to accommodate wheelchair users, tactile tiles for visually impaired passengers, marked seats for disabled passengers and audible and visible information across all stations to name a few.
Mr Mohammad Hanish IAS is the Managing Director of Kochi Metro. He says that the city's metro service stands out for its unique accessibility and disabled friendly features.
One of Kochi metro's striking factors is that is it accessible and disabled friendly. We have been focussing on this aspect from the beginning of construction of the metro. Our facilities are highly advanced. We have wheelchair ramps in all the stations and accessibility features for blind people like tactile paths and so on. Our Kudumbasree volunteers at the stations are trained to reach out to people with all kinds of disabilities-Mohammad Hanish IAS, Managing Director, Kochi Metro
A few disabled people in Kochi, who are regular users of the Kochi Metro, speak about how accessible and disabled friendly the service is.
Rajeev Palluruthy is a wheelchair user from Kochi. He is the Secretary of the All Kerala Wheelchair Rights Federation as well.
"Travelling in Kochi metro is my first experience on a metro train. It is an ideal mode of transport for people with all kinds of disabilities. They have exclusive wheelchair ramps and lifts that take us till the platforms and even to the exit. Inside the trains, they have facilities where you can lock the wheelchair along with exclusive seats for disabled passengers. It is one of the best disabled friendly government ventures that I have come across", says Palluruthy.
Neeraj George, a para badminton player from Kochi, is a regular user of Kochi metro. George highly recommends Kochi metro services.
"I have travelled in other metros too. But Kochi metro is the most accessible and barrier-free one that I have come across. There are lifts till the platforms which makes it easy for people with all kinds of disabilities. They also have announcements at regular intervals which are informative. I would totally recommend this to disabled people", says George.
Ever since its launch, Kochi metro has been in the news for all the good reasons. They employed transgender persons as their staffs, which is first of its kind in India. They are also one of the first metros in the country to be completed in just a span of just four years. Now, with the accessibility features getting great reviews, Kochi metro is truly soaring heights.
Watch in Sign Language
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Security hiked for Indian cricket team
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Narendra Modi conferred with UAE’s highest civilian honour
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Education August 24, 2019 CBSE Bareilly topper Mahima Shah appeals to PMO, Amit Shah to intervene in admission deadlock
- Events August 22, 2019 Creative Pattern Workshop For Individuals with Special Needs
- Headlines August 26, 2019 High alert along Line of Control over terror threat
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Ex Minister Arun Jaitley is no more
- Technology August 22, 2019 #TechThursdays – Kibo XS, world’s 1st intelligent personalised scanning & reading companion
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News