Kochi Metro gets thumbs up for accessibility features
February 20, 2019
It has been over a year since the Kochi metro started functioning. Undoubtedly, Kochi metro is the one of the most accessible metros in India today. They have got thumbs up for their exceptional and remarkable accessibility features that reach out to people with all kinds of disabilities.
Some of their noticeable features are disabled friendly ticket counters with lowered windows, wheelchair ramps at all station entrances, exits and platforms, safety docking facilities inside the trains, wide AFC gates to accommodate wheelchair users, tactile tiles for visually impaired passengers, marked seats for disabled passengers and audible and visible information across all stations to name a few.
Mr Mohammad Hanish IAS is the Managing Director of Kochi Metro. He says that the city's metro service stands out for its unique accessibility and disabled friendly features.
One of Kochi metro's striking factors is that is it accessible and disabled friendly. We have been focussing on this aspect from the beginning of construction of the metro. Our facilities are highly advanced. We have wheelchair ramps in all the stations and accessibility features for blind people like tactile paths and so on. Our Kudumbasree volunteers at the stations are trained to reach out to people with all kinds of disabilities-Mohammad Hanish IAS, Managing Director, Kochi Metro
A few disabled people in Kochi, who are regular users of the Kochi Metro, speak about how accessible and disabled friendly the service is.
Rajeev Palluruthy is a wheelchair user from Kochi. He is the Secretary of the All Kerala Wheelchair Rights Federation as well.
"Travelling in Kochi metro is my first experience on a metro train. It is an ideal mode of transport for people with all kinds of disabilities. They have exclusive wheelchair ramps and lifts that take us till the platforms and even to the exit. Inside the trains, they have facilities where you can lock the wheelchair along with exclusive seats for disabled passengers. It is one of the best disabled friendly government ventures that I have come across", says Palluruthy.
Neeraj George, a para badminton player from Kochi, is a regular user of Kochi metro. George highly recommends Kochi metro services.
"I have travelled in other metros too. But Kochi metro is the most accessible and barrier-free one that I have come across. There are lifts till the platforms which makes it easy for people with all kinds of disabilities. They also have announcements at regular intervals which are informative. I would totally recommend this to disabled people", says George.
Ever since its launch, Kochi metro has been in the news for all the good reasons. They employed transgender persons as their staffs, which is first of its kind in India. They are also one of the first metros in the country to be completed in just a span of just four years. Now, with the accessibility features getting great reviews, Kochi metro is truly soaring heights.
Watch in Sign Language
- Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
May 23, 2019
- Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
May 22, 2019
- Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
May 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment May 19, 2019 At Indore workshop on workplace inclusion, corporates share learnings & inspiring stories
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Indian actors shine at Cannes festival 2019
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News