World Cup cricket - India Pakistan matches doubtful
February 22, 2019
The terror attack in Pulwama where a suicide bomber killed 40 CRPF jawans has seen India-Pakistan ties fall to an all time low. Now cricket fans want Virat Kohli and team to boycott Pakistan and not play them at Manchester on 16 June in their group game of the 2019 World Cup.
There are doubts whether the agreement will allow the Indian cricket board to do that, but officials in India said there are chances of India refusing.
The BCCI had resolved at the Special General Meeting that the members participation agreement shall not be executed without the authorization of the general body of the BCCI and the BCCI reserves all its rights regarding the MPA and regarding its participation in any other multi-nation tournament or games not covered by the MPA. That answers your question. - Board of Control for Cricket in India
Another official also said that the BCCI cannot be forced to even play in the World Cup. And that it is also free to lay down conditions regarding Pakistan.
Former India cricket captain Saurav Ganguly has said all sporting ties with Pakistan should be cut off. "There is no chance of a bilateral series with Pakistan after this incident. I agree that after this attack, India should not only stop playing cricket, hockey or football with Pakistan but cut all ties with them".
Sentiments in the cricket fraternity are running high after the attack. Last week, the Vidarbha Cricket Association (VCA) removed pictures of former Pakistani cricketers from a stadium in Nagpur. These were photos of former Pakistan cricket team captain and current , batting legend Javed Miandad and some other players.
The cricket associations of Punjab and Rajasthan have also removed the pictures of former Pakistani cricket players from stadiums in Mohali and Jaipur.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility May 20, 2019 Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Indian actors shine at Cannes festival 2019
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 This Pune-based centre aims to build awareness, fight the stigma around schizophrenia
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - Behind swimming champ Ankita Anvikar's success story is mom Anjali
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News