1 army soldier dead, 6 trapped in avalanche
February 22, 2019
In a shocking incident, an Indian jawan lost his life in an avalanche on Wednesday. Five others jawans were stuck in the snow. Over 250 soldiers took part in the rescue operations that happened on Thursday. The incident occurred at Namgya region of Kinnaur in Himachal Pradesh. The body of the jawan that died has been recovered.
Reportedly, all the five jawans are also feared to be dead. Rescue operations were hampered due to intense rainfall in the area. The soldiers belong to the Jammu & Kashmir rifles unit of the army. Some police officials from the Indo Tibetan Border Police who were stuck in the avalanche were safely rescued.
In a very sad and tragic set of consequence, about 6 jawans of Army's Jammu and Kashmir rifle came into a sudden contact with an avalanche near shipkala in #Kinnaur District of Himachal Pradesh. My sincere prayers for all our jawans safety-Saurav Singh Chauhan, Twitter User
February is indeed a black month for the Indian army. Last week, 40 Indian jawans were martyred after a suicide bomber rammed his car with explosives into a truck that carried the soldiers. All the 40 people inside the truck died. Two days before, a fighter jet crashed killing one of the pilots during the rehearsals for Aero India 2019 in Bengaluru.
"Six Army Jawans trapped in #Avalanche in #Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh. One jawan retrieved, five still feared trapped. Rescue operations are still continuing. Praying for their safety", tweeted Devansh Baxi.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 From working for underprivileged kids to disability rights advocacy, Diksha wears many hats
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Indian actors shine at Cannes festival 2019
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Headlines May 24, 2019 World leaders congratulate PM Modi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News