India to stop sharing water resources with Pakistan
February 23, 2019
Indian government has decided to stop the sharing of water with Pakistan.
Water Resources Minister Nitin Gadkari has said that the water from Beas, Ravi and Sutlej rivers that was earlier sent over to Pakistan will now be diverted towards J&K, Punjab and Yamuna.
After partition the control of six major rivers in the region was equally divided between the two countries.
Under the Indus Waters Treaty of 1960, three rivers- Beas, Ravi and Sutlej came under the control of India. While Pakistan has complete control on the water of Jhelum, Chenab and Indus rivers.
Till now, India was sharing the extra water from its rivers with Pakistan.
The decision has been taken in view of the recent terrorist attack in Pulawama on CRPF soldiers. 40 jawans lost their lives in the suicide attack that had targeted the convoy of soldiers reporting back to duty after their leaves.
Social media users avidly discussed the decision of the Indian government and shared their thoughts.
Snow @Snow72557482 Replying to @imusaibkhan wrote, "India is stopping excess water of our own rivers. Thats India's right. Pakistan's share isnt getting tampered. But in case of war even those sources of water can b stopped. #jaihind"
BPK @balapkamath tweeted," Replying to @imusaibkhan India is taking what is legally its as per the treaty. Next step if pak does not behave would be stop flights over Indian air space. India will also be affected, but fir pak it would be devastating!"
ALSO READ: Security withdrawn for 18 J&K separatists
Watch in Sign Language
- 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
July 19, 2019
- Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
July 18, 2019
- Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
July 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Noted Paralympian Deepa Malik aims to set a record in sea swimming
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Freedom Carnival 2019 celebrates inclusion with children with disabilities
- Accessibility July 15, 2019 Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Virat shares message with fans after loss
- Education July 17, 2019 Kerala High Court upholds guidelines for therapy centres in the state
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 NGO Sreesh Mandiram was born out of a couple's experience coping with disability
- Get-hooked July 18, 2019 Trolled for a disability, UPSC topper Ira Singhal highlights need for inclusive education
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Karnataka government trust vote on Thursday
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News