India to stop sharing water resources with Pakistan
February 23, 2019
Indian government has decided to stop the sharing of water with Pakistan.
Water Resources Minister Nitin Gadkari has said that the water from Beas, Ravi and Sutlej rivers that was earlier sent over to Pakistan will now be diverted towards J&K, Punjab and Yamuna.
After partition the control of six major rivers in the region was equally divided between the two countries.
Under the Indus Waters Treaty of 1960, three rivers- Beas, Ravi and Sutlej came under the control of India. While Pakistan has complete control on the water of Jhelum, Chenab and Indus rivers.
Till now, India was sharing the extra water from its rivers with Pakistan.
The decision has been taken in view of the recent terrorist attack in Pulawama on CRPF soldiers. 40 jawans lost their lives in the suicide attack that had targeted the convoy of soldiers reporting back to duty after their leaves.
Social media users avidly discussed the decision of the Indian government and shared their thoughts.
Snow @Snow72557482 Replying to @imusaibkhan wrote, "India is stopping excess water of our own rivers. Thats India's right. Pakistan's share isnt getting tampered. But in case of war even those sources of water can b stopped. #jaihind"
BPK @balapkamath tweeted," Replying to @imusaibkhan India is taking what is legally its as per the treaty. Next step if pak does not behave would be stop flights over Indian air space. India will also be affected, but fir pak it would be devastating!"
ALSO READ: Security withdrawn for 18 J&K separatists
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
- Events May 14, 2019 Udaya Training Program – Enabling the Differently abled
- Education May 17, 2019 'Kannada Pustaka' open online library is empowering thousands of visually impaired students
- Get-hooked May 16, 2019 #BeingMom - What makes Nalini Srivastava such a power mom?
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 In a first, people with disabilities attend the famous Thrissur Pooram
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events May 14, 2019 Workshop: Enhancing Outcomes in Inclusive Education for Special Educational Needs
- Events May 17, 2019 Multiple Sclerosis - Invisible Symptoms
- Employment May 16, 2019 Umbrella By Differently Abled empowers people with spinal cord injuries
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 Understanding Chronic Pain
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News