10,000 more soldiers in J&K
February 24, 2019
Police and security forces are on a high alert in the state of Jammu & Kashmir and a massive crackdown has been initiated on separatists.
Around 130 people have been arrested including Jamaat-e-Islami chief Abdul Hamid Fayaz and Yasin Malik of the Hurriyat Conference.
10,000 more soldiers of various paramilitary forces are being deployed in Jammu & Kashmir by the center government.
The soldiers have been airlifted to Srinagar and according to the Home Ministry, the deployment is a routine pre-election exercise ahead of the Lok Sabha polls.
As per reports, the additional 100 companies of paramilitary forces include soldiers from CRPF, BSF, SSB and ITBP.
The arrests in the state are said to be preventive measure and include peace disturbing elements such as the Separatists and potential stone-throwers.
Former CM of the state, Mehbooba Mufti tweeted,
In the past 24 hours, Hurriyat leaders & workers of Jamaat organisation have been arrested. Fail to understand such an arbitrary move which will only precipitate matters in J&K. Under what legal grounds are their arrests justified? You can imprison a person but not his ideas.
Jammu and Kashmir has been in a tense state after the 14 February suicide terror attack on CRPF convoy that killed 40 soldiers and injured several others.
Politician Sajjad Gani Lone also took to social media and tweeted," Gov seems to be on an arrest spree. Just a word of caution. Large scale arrests took place in 1990. Leaders were ferried to Jodhpur and many jails across the country. Things worsened. This is a tried tested and failed model. Please desist from it. It won't work.Things will worsen"
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 14, 2019 #BeingMom – Celebrating my mother, Mrs Krishna Kumari – My Take by Aparna Murthy
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
- Events May 15, 2019 Movie Screening on Mental Health Awareness
- Events May 14, 2019 Workshop: Enhancing Outcomes in Inclusive Education for Special Educational Needs
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - From anxiety to empowerment, the journey of Latha Venkatesan
- Accessibility May 13, 2019 Do more than reserve coaches, disabled community tell Indian Railways
- Events May 15, 2019 Summer camp
- Get-hooked May 15, 2019 Art that moves & inspires, given a new life by HeART Beat Foundation
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 #TechThursdays - Remote-controlled toilet bed is a life saver for people bedridden due to disability
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News