I have a 13-year-old daughter who is physically disabled. She finds it hard to make friends and suffers from low self-esteem. She hates going to school as she feels that her classmates make fun of her. She has become quiet even at home and does not engage with any of the family members. Please help
February 27, 2019
Name: Veena, Pune
Answer: Dear Veena, Thank you for writing to us. You could try a few ways to help your daughter form friendships in school or maybe your society. It can be hard to join a group of friends as these groups may have been formed in her class.
She has to take the initiative to talk to people and try and encourage her to do that. You can also help by asking her to invite a few friends home for a meal. Perhaps her teacher can help out by organizing a group activity and including her in it.
You could also look at counselling sessions for her with a professional psychologist or a life coach. This could help build her sense of confidence in herself.
Watch in Sign Language
- Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
May 17, 2019
- Game changing innovations that enable inclusion - Global Accessibility Awareness Day special
May 16, 2019
- #TechThursdays - Remote-controlled toilet bed is a life saver for people bedridden due to disability
May 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Accessibility among 5 areas under focus in 11th edition of NASSCOM Social Innovation Forum
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines May 15, 2019 No chance of a Third Front says DMK leader Stalin
- Headlines May 17, 2019 PM promises to build statue of reformer Vidyasagar
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Technology May 14, 2019 Google's Android Q to introduce Live Captions and Subtitles to all types of content
- Employment May 16, 2019 Umbrella By Differently Abled empowers people with spinal cord injuries
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 Game changing innovations that enable inclusion - Global Accessibility Awareness Day special
- Events May 16, 2019 Na Main Na Hain
- Events May 15, 2019 Free Webinar - All About Autism: Education & Daily Living
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News