India demands safe, immediate return of Air Force pilot
February 28, 2019
The Indian government has asked Pakistan government to ensure the immediate and safe return of the Indian Air Force pilot in their custody.
Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman was taken in custody by the Pakistani army after his MiG 21 Bison jet crashed in the Pakistan Occupied Kashmir area yesterday.
Images and videos of the injured pilot were widely circulated on the social media by Pakistan. India slammed Pakistan for the "vulgar display" of the injured pilot.
Pakistan's acting High Commissioner was summoned by the Ministry of External Affairs and was told to ensure safety of the Indian pilot by all means.
India also blamed Pakistan of violating the International Humanitarian Law and the Geneva Convention and warned against any harm caused to Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had a meeting with the three service chiefs and National Security Advisor Ajit Doval after the Indian pilot was captured by Pakistan.
Despite the proposal for peace talks made by Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan, Pakistan Army continued to violate the ceasefire in parts of Jammu and Kashmir.
Congress Party President Rahul Gandhi tweeted, "I'm sorry to hear that one of our brave IAF pilots is missing. I hope he will return home soon, unharmed. We stand by our armed forces in these difficult times."
Chief of the DMK Party, M.K.Stalin also said, "My thoughts are with the family and friends of Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman. I urge the Government of India to do everything necessary to get him safely back home at the earliest. #BringBackAbhinandan"
Watch in Sign Language
- Smriti Irani’s supporter shot dead in Amethi
May 27, 2019
- PM Modi to be sworn in on 30 May
May 27, 2019
- Hundreds left homeless in Tripura after heavy rains
May 27, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 27, 2019 PM Modi to be sworn in on 30 May
- Technology May 23, 2019 #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 An exclusive anthem for children with hearing disabilities aims to spread awareness
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 The thrills & chills of being a showstopper - Guest column by Simran Chawla
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Video of physically disabled Zomato delivery boy wins hearts on social media
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Hi-tech hearing implants must be followed by rehab programmes say experts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News