Andhra Pradesh government increases reservation for disabled people in employment by 1%
March 4, 2019
From 3%, the government of Andhra Pradesh has increased reservation for disabled people in job recruitments and promotions, to 4%. This means more opportunities for the community.
The order mentions 10 new categories of disabilities, which are autism spectrum disorder (ASD), multiple disabilities, mental and intellectual disabilities.
Dr A Saibaba Goud, Founder, Devnar Foundation for the Blind, has welcomed the step.
I am glad that the Andhra Pradesh government introduced this without further delays. Unfortunately, there were only few categories earlier for reservation of disabled people. Now that the disabilities in the list have increased, more youngsters will get employment opportunities. I heard that the orders have already been passed. Now, we can only hope that the government introduces this without any hassles. Time will tell the rest. -Dr A Saibaba Goud, Founder, Devnar Foundation for the Blind
Apart from employment opportunities, this new reservation process will also ensure that disabled people are able to move up higher. Many disabled people face few opportunities for growth, something that will be addressed as well, hope activists.
Himabindu M Gattu, Co-founder, Abhilasha Research Centre for Children with Special Needs in Hyderabad, has concerns about implementation.
"This is a great move from the government. But I still have my doubts to how well this is going to be implemented across the state. I know a few people who had applied for jobs under this category but they were never provided with any openings", she says.
This is a good first step given that many states are yet to even implement the central government order. Hopefully Andhra Pradesh will lead the way.
Watch in Sign Language
- "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Abidi talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
March 20, 2019
- Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
March 20, 2019
- Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
March 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 My disability taught me to unlock my potential - My Take by Dhanya Ravi
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 No disability can come in the way of Swapna’s passion for art
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Female Special Police Officer in J&K shot dead by terrorists
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 #WonderWoman - Priya Bhargav embodies the warrior spirit in many ways
- Events March 14, 2019 Fun Club
- Headlines March 20, 2019 PM Modi’s biopic to release on 5 April
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
- Events March 20, 2019 Downs syndrome free assessment camp
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked March 16, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News