Andhra Pradesh government increases reservation for disabled people in employment by 1%
March 4, 2019
From 3%, the government of Andhra Pradesh has increased reservation for disabled people in job recruitments and promotions, to 4%. This means more opportunities for the community.
The order mentions 10 new categories of disabilities, which are autism spectrum disorder (ASD), multiple disabilities, mental and intellectual disabilities.
Dr A Saibaba Goud, Founder, Devnar Foundation for the Blind, has welcomed the step.
I am glad that the Andhra Pradesh government introduced this without further delays. Unfortunately, there were only few categories earlier for reservation of disabled people. Now that the disabilities in the list have increased, more youngsters will get employment opportunities. I heard that the orders have already been passed. Now, we can only hope that the government introduces this without any hassles. Time will tell the rest. -Dr A Saibaba Goud, Founder, Devnar Foundation for the Blind
Apart from employment opportunities, this new reservation process will also ensure that disabled people are able to move up higher. Many disabled people face few opportunities for growth, something that will be addressed as well, hope activists.
Himabindu M Gattu, Co-founder, Abhilasha Research Centre for Children with Special Needs in Hyderabad, has concerns about implementation.
"This is a great move from the government. But I still have my doubts to how well this is going to be implemented across the state. I know a few people who had applied for jobs under this category but they were never provided with any openings", she says.
This is a good first step given that many states are yet to even implement the central government order. Hopefully Andhra Pradesh will lead the way.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events May 15, 2019 Volunteer to make GiftAbled Colourful
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Accessibility May 13, 2019 Inclusive education should go beyond words - Guest Column by Sharada Devi V
- Employment May 16, 2019 Umbrella By Differently Abled empowers people with spinal cord injuries
- Headlines May 14, 2019 Sri Lanka suspends social media after anti-Muslim riots
- Get-hooked May 13, 2019 What I want to tell my mother - NewzHook readers share their thoughts
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya apologizes for Godse comments
- Get-hooked May 14, 2019 The Relic, a novel by team of 2 disabled writers has many readers hooked
- Headlines May 16, 2019 CRPF bans jawans from playing PUBG game
- Technology May 14, 2019 Google's Android Q to introduce Live Captions and Subtitles to all types of content
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News