Indian Air Force pilot returns to India to a rapturous welcome
March 2, 2019
After two days in the custody of the Pakistani authorities, Indian Air Force pilot Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman is back in India. Large crowds gathered at the border to give him a grand welcome. This included his parents, who flew down from Chennai to welcome their son. Emotional scenes were witnessed at the reunion.
Wing Commander Varthaman was captured by the Pakistan Army on Wednesday when his aircraft was shown down the border and he landed across the border. He was beaten up by locals before being rescued by a Pakistani army official.
Varthaman was brought from Rawalpindi to Lahore in Pakistan after all the formal protocols were completed. He was handed to the Border Security Force and then taken to the Amritsar airport where he flew to Delhi in a special plane.
Earlier on Thursday Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan had announced his release as a gesture of peace.
We have an Indian pilot. As a peace gesture, we will release him. -Imran Khan, Prime Minister, Pakistan
There was substantial pressure put on Pakistan by the United States, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates leading to his release. The Indian government stated that this was no goodwill gesture but was expected under the Geneva Convention.
The Border Security Force had cancelled the daily retreat ceremony along the Attari-Wagah border on Friday.
Watch in Sign Language
- Smriti Irani’s supporter shot dead in Amethi
May 27, 2019
- PM Modi to be sworn in on 30 May
May 27, 2019
- Hundreds left homeless in Tripura after heavy rains
May 27, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 From working for underprivileged kids to disability rights advocacy, Diksha wears many hats
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Get-hooked May 26, 2019 #BeingMom - Pratibha Bhatnagar shows us why mothers are such champions
- Headlines May 25, 2019 18 children killed in fire at Surat building
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines May 25, 2019 Bollywood actors hail PM Modi for historic win
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Headlines May 26, 2019 #SidhuQuitPolitics trends on social media
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News