Indian Air Force pilot returns to India to a rapturous welcome
March 2, 2019
After two days in the custody of the Pakistani authorities, Indian Air Force pilot Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman is back in India. Large crowds gathered at the border to give him a grand welcome. This included his parents, who flew down from Chennai to welcome their son. Emotional scenes were witnessed at the reunion.
Wing Commander Varthaman was captured by the Pakistan Army on Wednesday when his aircraft was shown down the border and he landed across the border. He was beaten up by locals before being rescued by a Pakistani army official.
Varthaman was brought from Rawalpindi to Lahore in Pakistan after all the formal protocols were completed. He was handed to the Border Security Force and then taken to the Amritsar airport where he flew to Delhi in a special plane.
Earlier on Thursday Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan had announced his release as a gesture of peace.
We have an Indian pilot. As a peace gesture, we will release him. -Imran Khan, Prime Minister, Pakistan
There was substantial pressure put on Pakistan by the United States, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates leading to his release. The Indian government stated that this was no goodwill gesture but was expected under the Geneva Convention.
The Border Security Force had cancelled the daily retreat ceremony along the Attari-Wagah border on Friday.
Watch in Sign Language
- Congress leader Sam Pitroda raises doubts on airstrike in Balakot
March 23, 2019
- BJP releases first list of candidates for elections
March 22, 2019
- Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
- Headlines March 16, 2019 Bangladesh cricketers escaped terror attack closely
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Female Special Police Officer in J&K shot dead by terrorists
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 No disability can come in the way of Swapna’s passion for art
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 #WonderWoman - Ketna Mehta is giving people with disabilities wings to fly
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Events March 20, 2019 Run 4 Autism Marathon- More details to come
- Headlines March 21, 2019 All IPL 2019 matches will be played in India
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News