"Happy to be back", says Wing Commander Abhinandan
March 3, 2019
Captured pilot Abhinandan Varthaman is finally back in India after nearly 60 hours in Pakistan. His first words were "it is good to be back in my country".
The pilot was taken for a medical check-up. "He will be taken for a detailed medical checkup. The officer has had to eject from a plane which would have put his body under immense strain," said Air Vice Marshal RGK Kapoor.
Varthaman's homecoming was delayed by many hours. One media report said that he was forced to record a statement on camera by Pakistani authorities before he was allowed to cross the border. Pakistan put out the video just before his release.
The pilot's homecoming was celebrated across the country with people saluting his grace and courage in dangerous circumstances.
Welcome Home Wing Commander Abhinandan! The nation is proud of your exemplary courage. Our armed forces are an inspiration for 130 crore Indians. Vande Mataram! - Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Large crowds waited for hours to welcome him at the border, holding flags and garlands and dancing and cheering. Varthaman comes from a family of decorated fighter pilots and images of him captured and bleeding left millions of Indians worried. The 38-year-old pilot was blindfolded, bleeding with his hands tied behind his back.
Later another video showed him sipping tea, his eyes swollen.
World leaders have urged India and Pakistan to step back as tensions rose over the last few days.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Video of physically disabled Zomato delivery boy wins hearts on social media
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Irfan signs up for Carribean Premier League players draft
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News