Azhikode Munakkal beach in Kerala now accessible for people with all types of disabilities
March 5, 2019
Some good news for people living in Kerala and those planning a visit. The popular Azhikode Munakkal beach at Thrissur district has become disabled-friendly. This is one of Kerala's biggest beaches and a must visit for most tourists.
Twenty six wheelchair ramps have been installed across the beach and there are tactile paths as well making it accessible for people with vision impairments. Entries and exits are also wider making it easy for wheelchair users to access the beach. Over Rs 25 lakhs has been spent on these facilities.
Sakeer Hussain, State Treasurer, All Kerala Wheelchair Rights Federation (AKWRF), has been closely involved in the entire process.
This is a great initiative by local authorities. There was a rising demand to make Azhikode Munakkal beach disabled- friendly. Most of the work is over and the beach has been inaugurated to public. But they are also looking out for more features to be introduced. Wheelchair users cannot get to the waters yet, but they can enjoy the beach. Project Manager Mahadevan knew exactly what was needed to make it accessible. He has done a great job. - Sakeer Hussain, State Treasurer, AKWRF
Last year, the Kerala government had introduced the Barrier Free project to make all prominent tourist attractions disabled-friendly and accessible. Azhikode Munakkal beach was a part of this and the work has been done by the District Tourism Promotion Council.
The paths are been made 330 metres wide so that wheelchair users can move around freely. There are disabled-friendly kiosks and washrooms as well. Wheelchair users who plan to come in their own car will have exclusive parking spaces too.
Biju Paul, Executive Member, AKWRF lives close to the beach and is happy about the accessibility upgrade.
"The government had provided wheelchair users with facilities only to go to places like hospitals. Most tourist places are inaccessible but now more people can enjoy the beach and breeze".
Watch in Sign Language
- Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
May 23, 2019
- Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
May 22, 2019
- Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
May 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Accessibility among 5 areas under focus in 11th edition of NASSCOM Social Innovation Forum
- Technology May 23, 2019 #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Headlines May 17, 2019 PM promises to build statue of reformer Vidyasagar
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Accessibility May 20, 2019 Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 These friends banded together in the aftermath of the Kerala floods to help people with disabilities
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News