Azhikode Munakkal beach in Kerala now accessible for people with all types of disabilities
March 5, 2019
Some good news for people living in Kerala and those planning a visit. The popular Azhikode Munakkal beach at Thrissur district has become disabled-friendly. This is one of Kerala's biggest beaches and a must visit for most tourists.
Twenty six wheelchair ramps have been installed across the beach and there are tactile paths as well making it accessible for people with vision impairments. Entries and exits are also wider making it easy for wheelchair users to access the beach. Over Rs 25 lakhs has been spent on these facilities.
Sakeer Hussain, State Treasurer, All Kerala Wheelchair Rights Federation (AKWRF), has been closely involved in the entire process.
This is a great initiative by local authorities. There was a rising demand to make Azhikode Munakkal beach disabled- friendly. Most of the work is over and the beach has been inaugurated to public. But they are also looking out for more features to be introduced. Wheelchair users cannot get to the waters yet, but they can enjoy the beach. Project Manager Mahadevan knew exactly what was needed to make it accessible. He has done a great job. - Sakeer Hussain, State Treasurer, AKWRF
Last year, the Kerala government had introduced the Barrier Free project to make all prominent tourist attractions disabled-friendly and accessible. Azhikode Munakkal beach was a part of this and the work has been done by the District Tourism Promotion Council.
The paths are been made 330 metres wide so that wheelchair users can move around freely. There are disabled-friendly kiosks and washrooms as well. Wheelchair users who plan to come in their own car will have exclusive parking spaces too.
Biju Paul, Executive Member, AKWRF lives close to the beach and is happy about the accessibility upgrade.
"The government had provided wheelchair users with facilities only to go to places like hospitals. Most tourist places are inaccessible but now more people can enjoy the beach and breeze".
Watch in Sign Language
- #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
August 19, 2019
- Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
August 16, 2019
- Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
August 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Inclusive art festival aims to uncover new opportunities for Bengaluru residents
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Parasports August 13, 2019 “Government apathy towards para sports demotivates us” - MyTake by Ebin Joseph
- Events August 14, 2019 Special Buddies Program
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Chandrayaan 2 heading towards the Moon
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Angry reactions to Mika Singh's performance in Karachi
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Delhi Public School Bengaluru North brings an inclusive touch to its crowdfunding initiatives
- Events August 14, 2019 Let your hands do the talking
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News