Offensive comments are made against me in my office. What should I do? Should I complain to my HR?
March 6, 2019
Question in detail: Hi Bhavna. I am a wheelchair user and I work in a company. For the last 3 months a colleague has been saying that my disability gives me an unfair advantage at work. What should I do? Complain to HR??
Answer: Hello. Yes, I agree, comments like these are insensitive and hurtful, and are not funny at all. The fact that he is saying it often does indicate some double intention. I suggest instead of reacting angrily, you ask him calmly in front of everyone if he thinks you are any less qualified or capable than the others.
Also, tell him he should think twice before making such comments given the many challenges people with disabilities face in our society. If he continues to make such comments to undermine you, you should mention it to your HR person but since he is your equal, you should tell him first.
Watch in Sign Language
- Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
July 15, 2019
- Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
July 13, 2019
- Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
July 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Over 50 people dead, 30 missing in Nepal floods
- Parasports July 18, 2019 Dhoni is India’s pride & should stay - India's para cricketers root for the legend
- Get-hooked July 19, 2019 Australia refuses entry to Kerala Catholic priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Events July 18, 2019 Conference – Deglobalishing Disability : Texts and Contexts
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Kangana accuses media of defamation
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 “Stay positive to beat all odds” - My Take by Jomy John Joseph, disability rights activist
- Headlines July 17, 2019 England’s World Cup win clouded by ICC rule controversy
- Events July 16, 2019 Screening of MetaMorphosis
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Sibaji Panda is bringing Indian sign language to the forefront
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News