Offensive comments are made against me in my office. What should I do? Should I complain to my HR?
March 6, 2019
Question in detail: Hi Bhavna. I am a wheelchair user and I work in a company. For the last 3 months a colleague has been saying that my disability gives me an unfair advantage at work. What should I do? Complain to HR??
Answer: Hello. Yes, I agree, comments like these are insensitive and hurtful, and are not funny at all. The fact that he is saying it often does indicate some double intention. I suggest instead of reacting angrily, you ask him calmly in front of everyone if he thinks you are any less qualified or capable than the others.
Also, tell him he should think twice before making such comments given the many challenges people with disabilities face in our society. If he continues to make such comments to undermine you, you should mention it to your HR person but since he is your equal, you should tell him first.
Watch in Sign Language
- Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
May 20, 2019
- Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
May 17, 2019
- Game changing innovations that enable inclusion - Global Accessibility Awareness Day special
May 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 16, 2019 CRPF bans jawans from playing PUBG game
- Accessibility May 13, 2019 Do more than reserve coaches, disabled community tell Indian Railways
- Employment May 17, 2019 La-Monnaie Skills enables disabled youth to flower into resourceful, contributing citizens
- Get-hooked May 13, 2019 What I want to tell my mother - NewzHook readers share their thoughts
- Employment May 19, 2019 At Indore workshop on workplace inclusion, corporates share learnings & inspiring stories
- Events May 14, 2019 Workshop: Enhancing Outcomes in Inclusive Education for Special Educational Needs
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Pakistani air space to remain shut for Indian flights till 30 May
- Get-hooked May 15, 2019 "Treat us as equals" - Disabled staff manning voting booth in Delhi send out a loud, clear message
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 #TechThursdays - Remote-controlled toilet bed is a life saver for people bedridden due to disability
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Ask-bhavna February 27, 2019
I have a 13-year-old daughter who is physically disabled. She finds it hard to make friends and suffers from low self-esteem. She hates going to school as she feels that her classmates make fun of her. She has become quiet even at home and does not engage with any of the family members. Please help
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked April 30, 2019