Brother of Jaish-e-Mohammed terror group arrested
March 7, 2019
Pakistan government authorities have taken Mufti Abdul Rauf, brother of Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar, into custody. Azhar's son Hamaz Azhar has also been put in preventive detention.
This action comes after massive pressure on Pakistan from the international community to control terror groups operating from its soil and to stop their financing. The two arrested are among 44 members of banned groups that have been detained.
It was decided to speed up action against all proscribed organisations. In compliance, 44 under-observation members of proscribed organisations, including Mufti Abdul Rauf and Hamaz Azhar, have been taken in preventive detention for investigation These actions will continue, as per the decisions taken in National Security Committee (NSC), while reviewing National Action Plan. - Pakistan government
The names of Mufti Abdul Rauf and Hamaz Azhar were mentioned in a document shared by India with Pakistan last week. Pakistan has denied it has taken action due to any pressure.
A day ago the Pakistan government also passed a a law to streamline the process to implement United Nations sanctions against individuals and organisations. This means the Pakistan government has taken over the control of assets and properties of all banned outfits operating in the country.
A deadline has been fixed by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), an international organisation that works to stop terror funding, to crack down on terror groups and their supporters who are running free in the country.
India hit a Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorist training camp in Pakistan's Balakot in a "pre-emptive, non-military" strike. Pakistan's subsequent attempt at airstrikes targeting Indian military facilities across the Line of Control led to the worst escalation between the neighbours in decades.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 Understanding Chronic Pain
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - From anxiety to empowerment, the journey of Latha Venkatesan
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 From working for underprivileged kids to disability rights advocacy, Diksha wears many hats
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 CRPF jawan & Pulwama attack survivor feeds disabled boy in Kashmir, wins hearts
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News