Young Katie beats her disability to walk the ramp for London Fashion Week
March 11, 2019
Disabled people are breaking stereotypes everyday and proving that they can do anything. Like 11-year-old Katie Renshaw who has cerebral palsy. Katie, who recently walked the ramp at a fashion show in London, uses a wheelchair. For the walk she used a stroller for support and watching her grace, elegance and charisma on the ramp was quite a sight to behold.
Katie, from Cheshire, United Kingdom, was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at birth. This is a development disorder that affects movement and co-ordination. Katie had to undergo a nine-hour-long surgery a few years back thanks to which she can now straighten her legs and feet. This enabled Katie to realize a long cherished dream - to walk the ramp for clothing brand, Panda.
Priya Bhargava, winner of the title, Miss Wheelchair India 2015, says Indian fashion brands should watch and learn from Katie.
This is great and amazing! Fashion is for everyone. Why can't our models be of any mould? It can be, of course. It motivates people a lot. Catwalk by any mould of models opens opportunities to many people. It should be an open platform. I would love to see aged models too, one day. - Priya Bhargava, Miss Wheelchair India 2015
Katie's mother Clare is her biggest supporter. Clare is very glad that her daughter is doing what she loves to do at such a young age. Katie has already been signed up by modelling agency, Zebdee Management for more assignments. She has also done photo shoots for Matalan and River Island. This young girl is definitely dreaming big and also working towards making her dreams a reality.
Vinayana Khurana is among those inspired by her story.
"This is a story of determination. It is important to come out of your shell and discover yourself like how Katie did", says Khurana. Social media users too congratulated Katie's grit and determination at such a young age.
"Great to see such a difference for 11yr old Katie Renshaw. A real model for everyone with cerebral palsy", tweeted Paul Simpson.
Watch in Sign Language
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
- Some fun things to do in your city this weekend 24 Aug-25 Aug
August 23, 2019
- Wheelchair users in Kochi rally together under the banner Kochi Wheelchair Koottayma
August 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Security hiked for Indian cricket team
- Get-Hooked August 23, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend 24 Aug-25 Aug
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats' sensory love notes ease back to school transition for children with autism
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Chandrayaan-2 enters Moon’s orbit
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Deepa Malik wins Khel Ratna
- Headlines August 16, 2019 Virat Kohli sets new record
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
- Get-Hooked August 23, 2019 Wheelchair users in Kochi rally together under the banner Kochi Wheelchair Koottayma
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News