Young Katie beats her disability to walk the ramp for London Fashion Week
March 11, 2019
Disabled people are breaking stereotypes everyday and proving that they can do anything. Like 11-year-old Katie Renshaw who has cerebral palsy. Katie, who recently walked the ramp at a fashion show in London, uses a wheelchair. For the walk she used a stroller for support and watching her grace, elegance and charisma on the ramp was quite a sight to behold.
Katie, from Cheshire, United Kingdom, was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at birth. This is a development disorder that affects movement and co-ordination. Katie had to undergo a nine-hour-long surgery a few years back thanks to which she can now straighten her legs and feet. This enabled Katie to realize a long cherished dream - to walk the ramp for clothing brand, Panda.
Priya Bhargava, winner of the title, Miss Wheelchair India 2015, says Indian fashion brands should watch and learn from Katie.
This is great and amazing! Fashion is for everyone. Why can't our models be of any mould? It can be, of course. It motivates people a lot. Catwalk by any mould of models opens opportunities to many people. It should be an open platform. I would love to see aged models too, one day. - Priya Bhargava, Miss Wheelchair India 2015
Katie's mother Clare is her biggest supporter. Clare is very glad that her daughter is doing what she loves to do at such a young age. Katie has already been signed up by modelling agency, Zebdee Management for more assignments. She has also done photo shoots for Matalan and River Island. This young girl is definitely dreaming big and also working towards making her dreams a reality.
Vinayana Khurana is among those inspired by her story.
"This is a story of determination. It is important to come out of your shell and discover yourself like how Katie did", says Khurana. Social media users too congratulated Katie's grit and determination at such a young age.
"Great to see such a difference for 11yr old Katie Renshaw. A real model for everyone with cerebral palsy", tweeted Paul Simpson.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Para athlete Javed Choudhari to dance up a storm on reality show Dance Deewane
- Headlines May 24, 2019 World leaders congratulate PM Modi
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - Behind swimming champ Ankita Anvikar's success story is mom Anjali
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Indian actors shine at Cannes festival 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News