Medical Council of India says guidelines for disabled aspirants will be amended, activists are cautious
March 8, 2019
Will the Medical Council of India (MCI) finally amend its notification barring people with disabilities from studying medicine? There may be reason to hope so.
On Thursday, the MCI told the Delhi High Court that it was in "the process of amending its notification which debars people with disabilities from pursuing medical courses". This was during the hearing into a petition filed by Dr Mohammed Shaloo challenging the guideline barring MBBS doctors with a disability of over 80% from doing further specialization.
Dr Shaloo has been a practising doctor for over two years now and has cleared the post graduate medical entrance exam successfully. However, the new MCI guidelines bar him from pursuing an MD.
In court, his lawyer, Advocate Gaurav Kumar Bansal argued that by way of making disabled people ineligible to enter medical courses, the MCI was practising discrimination, and so the new guidelines should be set aside.
"The PG course is barely weeks away and the court noted the urgency of the matter" said Dr Shaloo to NewzHook. "Given the urgency, the court said it would hear the matter early next week, on Tuesday".
The MCI's attitude has been repeatedly called out in judgements of various high courts as well as the Supreme Court. Yet, it has persisted with its discriminatory approach, points out disability rights crusader Dr Satendra Singh, who has filed a petition challenging the recent guidelines. Even now, he is cautious about the MCI's next steps.
Based on my past experience with the MCI, I would prefer to wait and see what they say in court. When I filed my PIL in February, the MCI lawyer did not even turn up in court. If they wanted to change the guidelines, they could have done it then. With just two weeks left for PG counselling, this is sheer harassment. We have to see the changes in black and white, so let's wait for the guidelines to be out. This will surely help Dr Shaloo and others like him but we cannot be sure. - Dr Satendra Singh, Disability rights crusader
Advocate Bansal also struck a note of caution. "As far as Dr Shaloo's case is concerned, I do not foresee a problem because his is a locomotor disability and the Ministry has been supportive of such cases. However there are many other disabilities that the MCI has refused to recognize. For instance, people with one hand and some blood disorders so let's see what they are trying to amend".
The MCI's biased and obstructionist behaviour in the matter has been criticized strongly, not only by activists but leading figures in the medical fraternity. Among them is Dr Upreet Dhaliwal, Former Director-Professor of Ophthalmology, University College of Medical Sciences, University of Delhi.
"By denying people with disability their right to train as doctors, we deny patients with disabilities access to medical professionals who understand their bodies and their reality from first-hand experience".
The MCI has been shamed repeatedly for its attitude. High time it took steps to correct this.
Watch in Sign Language
- #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
August 19, 2019
- Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
August 16, 2019
- Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
August 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports August 15, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Disability led Madhusudan to discover a talent for wheelchair tennis
- Accessibility August 13, 2019 Foreign doctors question MCI guidelines regarding disabled medical aspirants ahead of crucial hearing
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Abhinandan Varthaman to get Vir Chakra on Independence Day
- Headlines August 17, 2019 No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
- Employment August 13, 2019 Government move to roll back disability pension tax on retired soldiers welcomed
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
- Events August 14, 2019 Special Buddies Program
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
- Parasports August 13, 2019 “Government apathy towards para sports demotivates us” - MyTake by Ebin Joseph
- Headlines August 16, 2019 PM Modi's Independence Day address - Key points
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News