Stop using of Armed Forces for political gain says ex Navy chief
March 10, 2019
Admiral L Ramdas (retired), former chief of the Indian Navy has asked for the immediate intervention of the Election Commission of India (ECI) in stopping political parties from using the Pulwama attack, the Balakot air strike and Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman to influence the elections.
In an open letter to Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora, Admiral Ramdas has voiced his concern on instances of parties using armed forces for political gains.
With elections due in a few weeks from now, it is particularly important that there should not be any misuse of these recent events by any political party to send triumphalist or jingoistic messages which can influence the electorate. - Admiral Ramdas, Former Indian Navy Chief
In a two-page letter, he said the armed forces have always been proud of being part of a structure and a culture that is non-political and secular.
"As a responsible citizen and a proud veteran of the Indian Armed Forces, I share our collective sense of dismay and deep concern at how some political parties are brazenly pushing their agenda using images, uniforms and other examples, showing pictures of the armed forces with political figures, in public spaces, in media, election rallies and so on," said the retired officer.
Admiral Ramdas expressed concern that this would destroy the foundations and value system of the armed forces. He also said that many former officers are agitated by the "attempts to compromise the integrity and secular nature of the Indian Armed Forces".
He has urged the ECI to send a strong message to the political parties that there should be no misuse of the photographs as indeed any other material/reports or other information pertaining to the armed forces for electioneering in any way.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Employment May 19, 2019 At Indore workshop on workplace inclusion, corporates share learnings & inspiring stories
- Events May 17, 2019 Multiple Sclerosis - Invisible Symptoms
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
- Headlines May 23, 2019 Election 2019 - Sensex at 40K as leads show 2nd term for PM Modi
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News