Stop using of Armed Forces for political gain says ex Navy chief
March 10, 2019
Admiral L Ramdas (retired), former chief of the Indian Navy has asked for the immediate intervention of the Election Commission of India (ECI) in stopping political parties from using the Pulwama attack, the Balakot air strike and Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman to influence the elections.
In an open letter to Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora, Admiral Ramdas has voiced his concern on instances of parties using armed forces for political gains.
With elections due in a few weeks from now, it is particularly important that there should not be any misuse of these recent events by any political party to send triumphalist or jingoistic messages which can influence the electorate. - Admiral Ramdas, Former Indian Navy Chief
In a two-page letter, he said the armed forces have always been proud of being part of a structure and a culture that is non-political and secular.
"As a responsible citizen and a proud veteran of the Indian Armed Forces, I share our collective sense of dismay and deep concern at how some political parties are brazenly pushing their agenda using images, uniforms and other examples, showing pictures of the armed forces with political figures, in public spaces, in media, election rallies and so on," said the retired officer.
Admiral Ramdas expressed concern that this would destroy the foundations and value system of the armed forces. He also said that many former officers are agitated by the "attempts to compromise the integrity and secular nature of the Indian Armed Forces".
He has urged the ECI to send a strong message to the political parties that there should be no misuse of the photographs as indeed any other material/reports or other information pertaining to the armed forces for electioneering in any way.
Watch in Sign Language
- Press Club of India supports media boycott of Kangana
July 15, 2019
- England wins 2019 World Cup trophy
July 15, 2019
- ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
July 15, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 11, 2019 Cell Therapy: A Unique Approach at Treating Cerebral Palsy & GDD
- Headlines July 14, 2019 6 dead, lakhs homeless in Assam floods
- Headlines July 9, 2019 India vs New Zealand semifinal match today
- Accessibility July 15, 2019 Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
- Technology July 12, 2019 Excessive TV watching could trigger symptoms of ADHD in kids, says study
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Al-Qaeda head calls for attack on J&K in video
- Get-hooked July 9, 2019 Early detection, diagnosis of paediatric cataracts vital to prevent vision loss
- Headlines July 10, 2019 India-New Zealand match enters reserve day
- Technology July 11, 2019 #TechThursdays - TouchVision SmartStand promises to be a game changer for visually impaired people
- Events July 11, 2019 SignAlong - Sign language workshop
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News