Kerala launches first phase of Accessible India Campaign
March 12, 2019
The government of Kerala has been taking some important steps to promote inclusion, be it at the workplace, in tourism and education. In 2018, the government launched the Barrier Free Tourism Project that aims to make over 100 tourist locations across the state accessible and disabled-friendly. Last week, the government completed the first phase of this project and now state capital Thiruvananthapuram is all set to be made accessible for disabled people under the Accessible India Campaign.
The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has started working towards making 51 places across the district accessible. The organizations Samarthayam that works towards creating accessible spaces will do the audit for spaces that needs to be made disabled-friendly.
Sindhu Sudevan, President, All Kerala Wheelchair Rights Federation (AKWRF) says it is high time the the district is made accessible so people with disabilities can do things things independently.
Just because we are on a wheelchair, it does nt mean that we do not have dreams and aspirations. Even we would love to go to a beach and experience waters. Ministers in the state have claimed that the district is 60% accessible. But it is not and I hope this new project under the Accessible India Campaign will make things easier for us. We want places to be accessible for the future generations of disabled people. They must be able to do things independently. - Sindhu Sudevan, President, All Kerala Wheelchair Rights Federation, Thiruvananthapuram
The works will be carried out in two phases under the guidance and monitoring of the department. To begin with, authorities aim to make government buildings accessible. Over 28 buildings in the district have been shortlisted for that. Reportedly, over Rs eight crore has been kept aside for the construction works. Of this Rs four crore has already been released.
Apart from government buildings, popular places like parks, museums and zoos in the district will also get a revamp. They will be fully made accessible for people with all kinds of disabilities. Authorities have also put forward plans to make footpaths and traffic intersections accessible for disabled people.
Rajesh S, who is based in Thiruvananthapuram, is hopeful the campaign will address the gaps in accessibility.
"Most of the government buildings in Thiruvananthapuram have wheelchair ramps and this is something the state government has been successful at. Also, the government has introduced a new law under which all the new upcoming buildings and those under construction must be made accessible. This is a great initiative", says Rajesh, who is with the AKWRF.
Kerala truly shines light to accessibility under Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan. The state has implemented projects and schemes for disabled people without any delays or hassles. Hopefully, other states can follow suit
Watch in Sign Language
- Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
March 22, 2019
- Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
March 22, 2019
- Karnataka govt introduces accessibility features for elections, disability groups raise questions
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 24, 2019 Jet Airways suspends flights to 13 international routes
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Employment March 18, 2019 Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Trailer of biopic PM Narendra Modi gets over one million views
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Awareness about accessible election facilities still an issue in Arunachal Pradesh
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Headlines March 24, 2019 PM Modi wishes Imran Khan on Pakistan’s National Day
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 National award winner, dancer & sportsman, all-rounder Akshay inspires youngsters
- Headlines March 23, 2019 Jet Airways pilots’ refuse to fly if salaries not cleared by 31 March
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Female Special Police Officer in J&K shot dead by terrorists
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News