Boeing 737 MAX 8 banned by several countries after 2nd crash in 5 months
March 15, 2019
The Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft has been banned in Indian airspace as well as in several other world countries. This is for reasons of passenger safety and comes after an Ethiopian Airlines flight crashed, killing 157 people on board, including four Indians.
Since the crash on Sunday, many countries have grounded the Boeing 737 MAX 8 planes, which is the latest and best-selling version of the plane maker based in the United States.
The United States aviation regulator has also grounded the planes for the time being.
This is a second major crash involving the plane in the last five months. In October 2018, a Boeing 737 MAX in Indonesia had crashed and killed 189 people on board.
No B737 Max aircraft will be allowed to enter or transit Indian airspace.The time line is to cater to situations where aircraft can be positioned at maintenance facilities and international flights can reach their destinations. - Ministry of Civil Aviation
Among Indian carriers, SpiceJet has 13 jets of the plane while Jet Airways has five. Both airlines have suspended the operation of their Boeing 737 MAX 8 jets after the decision taken by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation
"The safety and security of our passengers, crew and operations are of utmost importance to us", said SpiceJet. This comes after an earlier statement where it defended the planes calling them "highly sophisticated". The planes in India will stay grounded until modifications and safety measures are taken.
Meanwhile the body of Shikha Garg, one of the Indians aboard the flight that crashed on Sunday is awaited by her family. Garg, who worked in the Environment Ministry was traveling for a conference when the plane crashed. She got married in December last year. Authorities say her family is devastated and waiting to receive her body, which has not been identified in Nairobi yet.
Garg is survived by her husband, parents, two sisters and a brother.
Watch in Sign Language
- Jet Airways suspends flights to 13 international routes
March 24, 2019
- BJP drops Shatrughan Sinha from candidate list
March 24, 2019
- PM Modi wishes Imran Khan on Pakistan’s National Day
March 24, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
- Events March 20, 2019 Samam Vidya & Tinkerama Summer camp
- Parasports March 24, 2019 Kerala para athletes climb Nainital’s highest peak, aim to inspire youngsters
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 My disability taught me to unlock my potential - My Take by Dhanya Ravi
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Rewire your brain – Guest Column by Dr Elavatsala Sharma
- Headlines March 20, 2019 Madhya Pradesh girl raped & killed, uncle & brothers accused
- Events March 20, 2019 Awareness Session on Prevention of Sexual Harassment at Workplace
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines March 22, 2019
Headlines March 24, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News