Boeing 737 MAX 8 banned by several countries after 2nd crash in 5 months
March 15, 2019
The Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft has been banned in Indian airspace as well as in several other world countries. This is for reasons of passenger safety and comes after an Ethiopian Airlines flight crashed, killing 157 people on board, including four Indians.
Since the crash on Sunday, many countries have grounded the Boeing 737 MAX 8 planes, which is the latest and best-selling version of the plane maker based in the United States.
The United States aviation regulator has also grounded the planes for the time being.
This is a second major crash involving the plane in the last five months. In October 2018, a Boeing 737 MAX in Indonesia had crashed and killed 189 people on board.
No B737 Max aircraft will be allowed to enter or transit Indian airspace.The time line is to cater to situations where aircraft can be positioned at maintenance facilities and international flights can reach their destinations. - Ministry of Civil Aviation
Among Indian carriers, SpiceJet has 13 jets of the plane while Jet Airways has five. Both airlines have suspended the operation of their Boeing 737 MAX 8 jets after the decision taken by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation
"The safety and security of our passengers, crew and operations are of utmost importance to us", said SpiceJet. This comes after an earlier statement where it defended the planes calling them "highly sophisticated". The planes in India will stay grounded until modifications and safety measures are taken.
Meanwhile the body of Shikha Garg, one of the Indians aboard the flight that crashed on Sunday is awaited by her family. Garg, who worked in the Environment Ministry was traveling for a conference when the plane crashed. She got married in December last year. Authorities say her family is devastated and waiting to receive her body, which has not been identified in Nairobi yet.
Garg is survived by her husband, parents, two sisters and a brother.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Technology May 23, 2019 #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Some tips for making travel comfortable when you have a child with Down syndrome
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
- Headlines May 24, 2019 Rahul concedes defeat, congratulates PM
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Pune centre builds awareness, stands up to the stigma around schizophrenia
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Headlines May 25, 2019 18 children killed in fire at Surat building
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News