United States wants UN to designate Masood Azhar a global terrorist
March 14, 2019
Masood Azhar, one of the most wanted terrorists across the globe might soon be designated as a global terrorist by the United Nations (UN). On Tuesday, the United States of America (USA) said that Azhar must be given the status as soon as possible. Or else, it is clearly going to be a threat to regional stability and peace. USA said this a day before a crucial meeting of world leaders at the UN. India has been requesting the United Nations to name him as a global terrorist. But due to China's intervention, the UN has been refusing.
World super powers United States, Russia and France have moved resolutions to designate Azhar as global terrorist. This is going to be of immense support to India.
The onus is now squarely on China. If it agrees to the UNSC's wish to designate Masood Azhar a "global terrorist" (which he is undoubtedly is), & leans on Pakistan to hand him over to the International Criminal Court, then the crisis may pass and further escalation be averted-Ramachandra Guha, Political Historian
Azhar, who is a Pakistani national, has been getting protection and support from his home country which is in great terms with China. Reportedly, China stated that there are no solid evidences to mark Azhar as a global terrorist. Azhar, who is the founder of terrorist group Jaish-e-Mohammed, was the mastermind behind the recent dastardly Pulwama attack that killed 40 CRPF jawans. He was also involved in the attack at Indian Parliament, Pathankot attacks and 26/11 Mumbai attacks to name a few of his terrorist activities.
"US, UK and France have moved a fresh proposal in UNSC to list Masood Azhar as a global terrorist. Three such earlier attempts were blocked by China in 2009, 2016 and 2017. Will @Chinamission2un vote for a terrorist and officially make China a terror sympathiser? World is watching", tweeted Manak Gupta, Journalist.
Azhar was earlier captured and put behind bars in India for terror activities in Jammu and Kashmir. His brother, along with a few others, kidnapped an Indian Airlines flight and asked for Azhar's release in return for lives of over 300 Indian passengers. After his release, Azhar came back to Pakistan to start Jaish-e-Mohammed with full support from the Pakistani government.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 17, 2019 PM promises to build statue of reformer Vidyasagar
- Headlines May 18, 2019 PM says Congress expects to perform badly
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Accessible Elections in India & lessons for the future
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 Understanding Chronic Pain
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - From anxiety to empowerment, the journey of Latha Venkatesan
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News