United States wants UN to designate Masood Azhar a global terrorist
March 14, 2019
Masood Azhar, one of the most wanted terrorists across the globe might soon be designated as a global terrorist by the United Nations (UN). On Tuesday, the United States of America (USA) said that Azhar must be given the status as soon as possible. Or else, it is clearly going to be a threat to regional stability and peace. USA said this a day before a crucial meeting of world leaders at the UN. India has been requesting the United Nations to name him as a global terrorist. But due to China's intervention, the UN has been refusing.
World super powers United States, Russia and France have moved resolutions to designate Azhar as global terrorist. This is going to be of immense support to India.
The onus is now squarely on China. If it agrees to the UNSC's wish to designate Masood Azhar a "global terrorist" (which he is undoubtedly is), & leans on Pakistan to hand him over to the International Criminal Court, then the crisis may pass and further escalation be averted-Ramachandra Guha, Political Historian
Azhar, who is a Pakistani national, has been getting protection and support from his home country which is in great terms with China. Reportedly, China stated that there are no solid evidences to mark Azhar as a global terrorist. Azhar, who is the founder of terrorist group Jaish-e-Mohammed, was the mastermind behind the recent dastardly Pulwama attack that killed 40 CRPF jawans. He was also involved in the attack at Indian Parliament, Pathankot attacks and 26/11 Mumbai attacks to name a few of his terrorist activities.
"US, UK and France have moved a fresh proposal in UNSC to list Masood Azhar as a global terrorist. Three such earlier attempts were blocked by China in 2009, 2016 and 2017. Will @Chinamission2un vote for a terrorist and officially make China a terror sympathiser? World is watching", tweeted Manak Gupta, Journalist.
Azhar was earlier captured and put behind bars in India for terror activities in Jammu and Kashmir. His brother, along with a few others, kidnapped an Indian Airlines flight and asked for Azhar's release in return for lives of over 300 Indian passengers. After his release, Azhar came back to Pakistan to start Jaish-e-Mohammed with full support from the Pakistani government.
Watch in Sign Language
- Jet Airways suspends flights to 13 international routes
March 24, 2019
- BJP drops Shatrughan Sinha from candidate list
March 24, 2019
- PM Modi wishes Imran Khan on Pakistan’s National Day
March 24, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
- Headlines March 23, 2019 Congress leader Sam Pitroda questions airstrike in Balakot
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Awareness about accessible election facilities still an issue in Arunachal Pradesh
- Parasports March 20, 2019 India on a roll at the 2019 Special Olympics World Games
- Accessibility March 19, 2019 Rising Star Tours & Travels is helping visually impaired people experience the magic of new places
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Understanding Ataxia
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Pakistan will not broadcast IPL 2019 matches
- Headlines March 21, 2019 All IPL 2019 matches will be played in India
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 A unique session on STEM education for blind students
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines March 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News