Court asks ministries to respond to PIL challenging separate ID cards for rail concessions for disabled people
March 14, 2019
26 July 2019. That's the deadline by when the Ministry of Railways and the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment (MSJE) have to respond to the National Platform for the Rights of the Disabled (NPRD)'s petition seeking to dismiss a circular mandating a separate disability identity card in order to avail concessions in booking railway tickets.
The circular issued by the Union Railways Ministry was challenged at the Delhi High Court by the NPRD, which is a nationwide cross disability rights group. The petition argued that the circular is in complete violation with the Unique Disability Identity Card (UDID) .
In court Advocate Subhash Chandran, lawyer for the petitioner, argued that a separate disability card would defeat the purpose of the UDID, which is to serve as a universal Id across India. The main purpose of the UDID is to save people with disabilities the hassle and harassment of getting separate certificates or cards for availing every government scheme.
The Chief Justice did not issue a stay on the circular but said that there was a case for the petitioner and set the date for the next hearing on 26 July. The Railways Ministry will have to file a counter affidavit by then. - Advocate Subhash Chandran, Lawyer for the petitioner
In issuing such a circular, the Railways Ministry is at odds with another government ministry, the MSJE, which has stated that "The UDID card will be the single document of identification, verification of the disabled for availing various benefits in future".
The UDID's legal validity is also provided for in Section 58, of RPWD Act 2016, which says "The certificate of disability issued under this section shall be valid across the country".
The decision to file the petition says the NPRD comes after "repeated appeals to the Railways to scrap this card which apart from imposing unwanted burdens on disabled persons was also costing the exchequer failed to receive any response".
Watch in Sign Language
- #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
August 19, 2019
- Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
August 16, 2019
- Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
August 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 14, 2019 Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
- Headlines August 16, 2019 Virat Kohli sets new record
- Headlines August 12, 2019 Curfew in Srinagar, people told to stay home
- Headlines August 14, 2019 Kerala man Noushad wins hearts in flood-hit Kerala
- Events August 14, 2019 Dyslexia Awareness Workshop
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
- Accessibility August 13, 2019 Foreign doctors question MCI guidelines regarding disabled medical aspirants ahead of crucial hearing
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Young innovator Prashant Gade seeks support to give prosthetic arms for free to the needy
- Parasports August 15, 2019 Sekhar Goud is India's first triple amputee to scale Mount Elburus in Russia twice
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Angry reactions to Mika Singh's performance in Karachi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News