Court asks ministries to respond to PIL challenging separate ID cards for rail concessions for disabled people
March 14, 2019
26 July 2019. That's the deadline by when the Ministry of Railways and the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment (MSJE) have to respond to the National Platform for the Rights of the Disabled (NPRD)'s petition seeking to dismiss a circular mandating a separate disability identity card in order to avail concessions in booking railway tickets.
The circular issued by the Union Railways Ministry was challenged at the Delhi High Court by the NPRD, which is a nationwide cross disability rights group. The petition argued that the circular is in complete violation with the Unique Disability Identity Card (UDID) .
In court Advocate Subhash Chandran, lawyer for the petitioner, argued that a separate disability card would defeat the purpose of the UDID, which is to serve as a universal Id across India. The main purpose of the UDID is to save people with disabilities the hassle and harassment of getting separate certificates or cards for availing every government scheme.
The Chief Justice did not issue a stay on the circular but said that there was a case for the petitioner and set the date for the next hearing on 26 July. The Railways Ministry will have to file a counter affidavit by then. - Advocate Subhash Chandran, Lawyer for the petitioner
In issuing such a circular, the Railways Ministry is at odds with another government ministry, the MSJE, which has stated that "The UDID card will be the single document of identification, verification of the disabled for availing various benefits in future".
The UDID's legal validity is also provided for in Section 58, of RPWD Act 2016, which says "The certificate of disability issued under this section shall be valid across the country".
The decision to file the petition says the NPRD comes after "repeated appeals to the Railways to scrap this card which apart from imposing unwanted burdens on disabled persons was also costing the exchequer failed to receive any response".
Watch in Sign Language
- Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
March 22, 2019
- Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
March 22, 2019
- Karnataka govt introduces accessibility features for elections, disability groups raise questions
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Anil Ambani pays dues, avoids jail term
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Nirav Modi arrested in London
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 My disability taught me to unlock my potential - My Take by Dhanya Ravi
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 A unique session on STEM education for blind students
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Amazon move to remove books spreading misinformation about autism gets a thumbs up
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News