U.S warns China for blocking action on terrorist Masood Azhar
March 15, 2019
The United States has issued a stern warning to China for blocking yet another attempt to blacklist Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar on the grounds that he is a global terrorist.
A U. S diplomat at the United Nations Security Council warned that members "may be forced to pursue other actions". In an unusually tough message, he said Beijing "should not protect terrorists from Pakistan or any other country" if it is serious about combatting terrorism.
The remarks came after China put a hold on a proposal moved by the US, United Kingdom and France to designate Masood Azhar as a "global terrorist" under the Al Qaeda Sanctions Committee of the Security Council. Beijing did not give a reason. No reason was given by China for blocking the move.
In a statement, the U.S said,
This is the fourth time that China has placed a hold on this listing. China should not prevent the Committee from doing the job the Security Council has entrusted it to do. If China continues to block this designation, responsible member states may be forced to pursue other actions at the Security Council. It shouldn't have to come to that. - United States government
India is disappointed after the Chinese move, and vowed to continue to pursue "all available avenues to ensure that terrorist leaders who are involved in heinous attacks on our citizens" are brought to justice. It also thanked the countries who had supported India's bid to designate Azhar as a terrorist.
A large number of countries had backed the proposal against Azhar. This will mean a ban on travel and arms.
China which has the power to veto has blocked such attempts three times in the past. The last time was in 2016, months after the Jaish attack on the Pathankot air base.
Watch in Sign Language
- Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
August 22, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
- Technology August 22, 2019 #TechThursdays – Kibo XS, world’s 1st intelligent personalised scanning & reading companion
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Chandrayaan-2 enters Moon’s orbit
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Headlines August 17, 2019 Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 9, 2019
Headlines August 13, 2019
Headlines August 15, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News