21 opposition parties appeal to Supreme Court about EVMs
March 15, 2019
As the country prepares for the upcoming general elections next month, 21 opposition parties have appealed to the Supreme Court regarding safety of Electronic Voting Machines - EVMs.
The court is expected to hear the petition today. The petition calls for the machines to be made full proof as the political parties claim that they can be manipulated to get desired results.
Ever since the BJP came to power in 2014, most of the opposition parties have claimed that the Electronic Voting Machines were tampered with by the party to get majority.
The main parties that have been voicing their concern about EVM include Congress, Telugu Desam Party, NCP, Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party, the Left parties, Samajwadi Party and Mayawati.
The parties have demanded that 50% of the EVMs should be verified against their paper trails before declaration of result - VVPAT Voter Verified Paper Trail Audit Machines.
Earlier the parties had also raised the concern with the Election Commission. This in turn led the Election Commission to issue a challenge asking anyone to try and hack into an EVM.
However, no one was able to hack into the EVMs.
Porla Lingappa @PorlaLingappa tweeted - Porla Lingappa Retweeted Unnikrishnan - "Yes it is 100% true. If opposition still sleeps on EVM issue at least some one has to go Supreme Court as there is enough time for counting of votes i.e., in the last week of May 2019.ECI is not impartial."
Debashis Panda @Debashi81521484 wrote - "I think Congress party has no trust in our honourable supreme Court,no trust in EVM ,no trust in CBI,no trust in IAF.But it seems like they have full trust in Pakistani media report!!!!"
Watch in Sign Language
- Jet Airways suspends flights to 13 international routes
March 24, 2019
- BJP drops Shatrughan Sinha from candidate list
March 24, 2019
- PM Modi wishes Imran Khan on Pakistan’s National Day
March 24, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 19, 2019 Rising Star Tours & Travels is helping visually impaired people experience the magic of new places
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Kerala youngster Vijesh Vijayan wins battle for justice in Kerala High Court
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Understanding Ataxia
- Events March 20, 2019 Awareness Session on Prevention of Sexual Harassment at Workplace
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Parasports March 20, 2019 India on a roll at the 2019 Special Olympics World Games
- Headlines March 20, 2019 Madhya Pradesh girl raped & killed, uncle & brothers accused
- Headlines March 22, 2019 Trailer of biopic PM Narendra Modi gets over one million views
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 A unique session on STEM education for blind students
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines March 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News