21 opposition parties appeal to Supreme Court about EVMs
March 15, 2019
As the country prepares for the upcoming general elections next month, 21 opposition parties have appealed to the Supreme Court regarding safety of Electronic Voting Machines - EVMs.
The court is expected to hear the petition today. The petition calls for the machines to be made full proof as the political parties claim that they can be manipulated to get desired results.
Ever since the BJP came to power in 2014, most of the opposition parties have claimed that the Electronic Voting Machines were tampered with by the party to get majority.
The main parties that have been voicing their concern about EVM include Congress, Telugu Desam Party, NCP, Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party, the Left parties, Samajwadi Party and Mayawati.
The parties have demanded that 50% of the EVMs should be verified against their paper trails before declaration of result - VVPAT Voter Verified Paper Trail Audit Machines.
Earlier the parties had also raised the concern with the Election Commission. This in turn led the Election Commission to issue a challenge asking anyone to try and hack into an EVM.
However, no one was able to hack into the EVMs.
Porla Lingappa @PorlaLingappa tweeted - Porla Lingappa Retweeted Unnikrishnan - "Yes it is 100% true. If opposition still sleeps on EVM issue at least some one has to go Supreme Court as there is enough time for counting of votes i.e., in the last week of May 2019.ECI is not impartial."
Debashis Panda @Debashi81521484 wrote - "I think Congress party has no trust in our honourable supreme Court,no trust in EVM ,no trust in CBI,no trust in IAF.But it seems like they have full trust in Pakistani media report!!!!"
Watch in Sign Language
- Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
August 22, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Death toll rises in monsoon fury at Himachal Pradesh
- Accessibility August 16, 2019 Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Primary schools reopen in J&K
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Headlines August 17, 2019 Karnataka boy felicitated for bravery
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Headlines August 16, 2019 Virat Kohli sets new record
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 18, 2019
Headlines August 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News