9 people of Indian origin missing in New Zealand mosque attack
March 16, 2019
Nine people from India are among those who have gone missing in the twin shootings at two mosques in Christchurch in New Zealand. The final death toll has been confirmed at 49 while 20 people have been injured in the attack that happened during Friday prayers.
The shooting is being treated as an act of terrorism and the motive was racial. Authorities said they had four people in custody, three men and one women, but later clarified that only three were believed to have been involved in the violence. .One of the three people arrested is an Australian man in his late 20s. They did not spare even women and children. Reportedly, this is one of the worst attacks at Muslims in a western country and the attack was live streamed on Facebook.
As per updates received from multiple sources there are 9 missing persons of Indian nationality/ origin. Official confirmation still awaited. Huge crime against humanity. Our prayers with their families. - Sanjiv Kohli, Indian High Commissioner
Authorities asked all Muslims across the country to refrain from going to mosques until the situation calms down. The entire country has been put on high alert. World leaders and members from the international community condemned the attack.
"I strongly condemn the terror attack against the Al Noor Mosque in #NewZealand and Muslim worshippers", said Recep Tayyip Erdogan, President of Turkey.
The attack was well planned and the most of the victims were shot at gun point. Videos and images of the attack have been doing the rounds in social media too.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Stay cool this summer, some tips for wheelchair users
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Video of physically disabled Zomato delivery boy wins hearts on social media
- Events May 17, 2019 Multiple Sclerosis - Invisible Symptoms
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 This Pune-based centre aims to build awareness, fight the stigma around schizophrenia
- Education May 17, 2019 'Kannada Pustaka' open online library is empowering thousands of visually impaired students
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News