9 people of Indian origin missing in New Zealand mosque attack
March 16, 2019
Nine people from India are among those who have gone missing in the twin shootings at two mosques in Christchurch in New Zealand. The final death toll has been confirmed at 49 while 20 people have been injured in the attack that happened during Friday prayers.
The shooting is being treated as an act of terrorism and the motive was racial. Authorities said they had four people in custody, three men and one women, but later clarified that only three were believed to have been involved in the violence. .One of the three people arrested is an Australian man in his late 20s. They did not spare even women and children. Reportedly, this is one of the worst attacks at Muslims in a western country and the attack was live streamed on Facebook.
As per updates received from multiple sources there are 9 missing persons of Indian nationality/ origin. Official confirmation still awaited. Huge crime against humanity. Our prayers with their families. - Sanjiv Kohli, Indian High Commissioner
Authorities asked all Muslims across the country to refrain from going to mosques until the situation calms down. The entire country has been put on high alert. World leaders and members from the international community condemned the attack.
"I strongly condemn the terror attack against the Al Noor Mosque in #NewZealand and Muslim worshippers", said Recep Tayyip Erdogan, President of Turkey.
The attack was well planned and the most of the victims were shot at gun point. Videos and images of the attack have been doing the rounds in social media too.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- Accessibility August 16, 2019 Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
- Get-Hooked August 21, 2019 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
- Events August 21, 2019 Vadhu Var Melawa
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines August 15, 2019
Headlines August 11, 2019
Headlines August 14, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News