9 people of Indian origin missing in New Zealand mosque attack
March 16, 2019
Nine people from India are among those who have gone missing in the twin shootings at two mosques in Christchurch in New Zealand. The final death toll has been confirmed at 49 while 20 people have been injured in the attack that happened during Friday prayers.
The shooting is being treated as an act of terrorism and the motive was racial. Authorities said they had four people in custody, three men and one women, but later clarified that only three were believed to have been involved in the violence. .One of the three people arrested is an Australian man in his late 20s. They did not spare even women and children. Reportedly, this is one of the worst attacks at Muslims in a western country and the attack was live streamed on Facebook.
As per updates received from multiple sources there are 9 missing persons of Indian nationality/ origin. Official confirmation still awaited. Huge crime against humanity. Our prayers with their families. - Sanjiv Kohli, Indian High Commissioner
Authorities asked all Muslims across the country to refrain from going to mosques until the situation calms down. The entire country has been put on high alert. World leaders and members from the international community condemned the attack.
"I strongly condemn the terror attack against the Al Noor Mosque in #NewZealand and Muslim worshippers", said Recep Tayyip Erdogan, President of Turkey.
The attack was well planned and the most of the victims were shot at gun point. Videos and images of the attack have been doing the rounds in social media too.
Watch in Sign Language
- Jet Airways suspends flights to 13 international routes
March 24, 2019
- BJP drops Shatrughan Sinha from candidate list
March 24, 2019
- PM Modi wishes Imran Khan on Pakistan’s National Day
March 24, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Events March 20, 2019 Parent Interaction With Jo Chopra
- Headlines March 23, 2019 At least 47 killed, over 600 injured in explosion in China
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Amazon move to remove books spreading misinformation about autism gets a thumbs up
- Headlines March 18, 2019 New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
- Employment March 18, 2019 Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Parenting Corner- Potty Training Children with Down syndrome
- Events March 20, 2019 Awareness Session on Prevention of Sexual Harassment at Workplace
- Accessibility March 21, 2019 A tactile toolkit that explains what periods are all about to girls with vision & hearing disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News