Bangladesh cricketers escaped terror attack closely
March 16, 2019
The whole world has been shocked by the terrorist attack on mosques in New Zealand in which at least 49 people were killed yesterday.
The cricket team of Bangladesh, currently on tour of New Zealand, was about to enter the mosque in Christchurch when a gunman started shooting inside the mosque killing people.
As per reports, the bus with 17 Bangladeshi players had just reached the Masjid al Noor mosque when the attack started. The team members saw people running out of the mosque trying to save their lives. Many of them were covered in blood and were running out extremely scared.
After the narrow escape, Bangladeshi batsman Tamim Iqbal tweeted
Entire team got saved from active shooters!!! Frightening experience.
The team remained seated inside the bus with their heads bowed down for around 10 minutes fearing for their lives.
Bangladesh team manager Khaled Mashud said ,had the team reached the mosque three to four minutes earlier, they would have been among those who died. "I would say we were really lucky. We are very thankful that we weren't caught in the crossfire," he added.
Bangladesh was to play its third Test match against New Zealand today and that has been cancelled after the attack.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports August 21, 2019 Indian para swimmers successfully swim the Catalina Channel, set Asia record
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Amazon forest burns at record rate
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Deepa Malik wins Khel Ratna
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Events August 21, 2019 Ageing with Grace Workshop for Seniors
- Headlines August 16, 2019 PM Modi's Independence Day address - Key points
- Headlines August 18, 2019 Telephone services, Internet partially back in J&K
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News