New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
March 18, 2019
Two of the 50 people killed in the shooting at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, are confirmed to be residents of Hyderabad. They are Farhaj Ahsan from India and Ozair Khalid. Khalid was a student and an aspiring commercial pilot.
Ahsan's family in Hyderabad has confirmed his death while Khadir' family was looking for him since the attack
It is with a heavy heart that I have to inform that Farhaj Ahsan, one of the two Hyderabadi #ChristChurch victims has passed away. He's left behind his parents, spouse & children. I request everyone to pray for Farhaj and his family, as they deal with this great difficulty, - Asaduddin Owaisi, Chief, All India Majlis-e -Ittehadul Muslimeen
Nine Indians were missing in the attack and Ahsan's family was hoping for some good news. His father did not know about the shooting and phoned his son but could not reach him. Finally, Ahsan's wife told him about the shooting a few hours later.
Another Indian who was killed was from Kerala. Her name was Ancy Ali and she was 25 years old. She was a post-graduate student living in Christchurch with her husband.
Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan condoled her death saying, "Deeply shocked to learn that a Keralite is among the victims of Christchurch(New Zealand) terror attack. We are following up with the embassy..Our thoughts are with the affected family".
Also injured critically is Ahmed Jehangir, also from Hyderabad. He had to undergo a surgery and is recovering.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Jallianwalah Bagh massacre, people pay tribute
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News