Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
March 18, 2019
Manohar Parrikar, the Chief Minister of Goa, passed away after months of illness yesterday at the age of 63 years.
Manohar Parrikar was a Bharatiya Janata Party leader from Goa. Parrikar became the Chief Minister of Goa on 14 March 2017 after serving as the Defence Minister of India from 2014 to 2017. He was much loved by the people of the state.
In 2018 he started getting treatment for pancreatitis- a disease of the pancreas. Parrikar went to America for the treatment and returned after several months. However, his condition seemed to be deteriorating although he continued to work.
It was later confirmed that he was suffering from pancreatic cancer and continued treatment from AIIMS Delhi.
Shashi TharoorVerified account @ShashiTharoor tweeted,”Mourning the loss of Manohar Parrikar, a rare IIT graduate in politics who was widely admired for his simplicity & straightforwardness. Wishing his family strength & peace at this time of grief.”
On several occasions Parrikar was seen carrying out his duties with a tube in his nose.
Manohar Parrikar is survived by two sons – Utpal and Abhijat, his wife had passed away in 2001. Manohar Parrikar was the first IIT pass out in the country to serve as an MLA.
Several people took to social media to express their condolence on the death of Manohar Parrikar.
Rahul GandhiVerified account @RahulGandhi tweeted, ”I am deeply saddened by the news of the passing of Goa CM, Shri Manohar Parrikar Ji, who bravely battled a debilitating illness for over a year. Respected and admired across party lines, he was one of Goa’s favourite sons. My condolences to his family in this time of grief.”
Chowkidar Nirmala Sitharaman @nsitharaman wrote,"Shri Manohar Parrikar is no more. A sincere, honest & sensitive political activist. Was simple and down to earth, I learnt a lot from Shri.Parrikar. As Raksha Mantri his contribution to making the armed forces a modernised, lean & mean fighting machine will remain unparalleled."
The last rites of Manohar Parrikar will be held today at 5 pm at Miramar in Panaji, Goa.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 12, 2019 First phase of 17th Loka Sabha elections completed
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Events April 15, 2019 NALS Adventure Camp
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News