Goa CM Manohar Parrikar is no more
March 18, 2019
Manohar Parrikar, the Chief Minister of Goa, passed away after months of illness yesterday at the age of 63 years.
Manohar Parrikar was a Bharatiya Janata Party leader from Goa. Parrikar became the Chief Minister of Goa on 14 March 2017 after serving as the Defence Minister of India from 2014 to 2017. He was much loved by the people of the state.
In 2018 he started getting treatment for pancreatitis- a disease of the pancreas. Parrikar went to America for the treatment and returned after several months. However, his condition seemed to be deteriorating although he continued to work.
It was later confirmed that he was suffering from pancreatic cancer and continued treatment from AIIMS Delhi.
Shashi TharoorVerified account @ShashiTharoor tweeted,”Mourning the loss of Manohar Parrikar, a rare IIT graduate in politics who was widely admired for his simplicity & straightforwardness. Wishing his family strength & peace at this time of grief.”
On several occasions Parrikar was seen carrying out his duties with a tube in his nose.
Manohar Parrikar is survived by two sons – Utpal and Abhijat, his wife had passed away in 2001. Manohar Parrikar was the first IIT pass out in the country to serve as an MLA.
Several people took to social media to express their condolence on the death of Manohar Parrikar.
Rahul GandhiVerified account @RahulGandhi tweeted, ”I am deeply saddened by the news of the passing of Goa CM, Shri Manohar Parrikar Ji, who bravely battled a debilitating illness for over a year. Respected and admired across party lines, he was one of Goa’s favourite sons. My condolences to his family in this time of grief.”
Chowkidar Nirmala Sitharaman @nsitharaman wrote,"Shri Manohar Parrikar is no more. A sincere, honest & sensitive political activist. Was simple and down to earth, I learnt a lot from Shri.Parrikar. As Raksha Mantri his contribution to making the armed forces a modernised, lean & mean fighting machine will remain unparalleled."
The last rites of Manohar Parrikar will be held today at 5 pm at Miramar in Panaji, Goa.
Watch in Sign Language
- World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
June 16, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
June 16, 2019
- Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Budding poet Neerada uses words to shatter notions about autism
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Dark Pheonix brings alive the magic of Stan Lee's superheroes yet again
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News