Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
March 19, 2019
Congress party president Rahul Gandhi and many other leaders in the opposition have targeted Prime Minister Narendra Modi over his Main Bhi Chowkidar. Since the PM announced it on Twitter, many BJP leaders like Piyush Goyal, Smriti Irani and Nitin Gadkari have rushed to add "Chowkidar" to their Twitter handles.
Leading the opposition parties, Gandhi tweeted in response that the truth "cannot be extinguished".
You can keep trying Mr Modi, but the truth cannot be extinguished. Every Indian is saying it. #ChowkidarChorHai. It's looking very bad - Rahul Gandhi, Congress party president
Former Union Minister P Chidambaram also joked that he has also been forced to become a chowkidaar. "Main bhi chowkidhar because the chowkidhar I had appointed is missing. I am told he has gone looking for achhe din," he tweeted. Another senior Congress leader Jyotiraditya Scindia asked who would save India if "chowkidars" were all like PM Modi.
The Twitter campaign started by PM Modi comes soon after his party has been targeted regularly by the Congress on the Rafale aircraft deal negotiated by his government. Gandhi, who came up with the slogan, Chowkidar chor hai has accused the government of entering into an overpriced deal to help Anil Ambani's defence firm bag the contract from Dassault, the Rafale manufacturer. Both the government and Dassault have denied the allegation.
The PM had tweeted, "Your Chowkidar is standing firm & serving the nation. But, I am not alone.Everyone who is fighting corruption, dirt, social evils is a Chowkidar. Everyone working hard for the progress of India is a Chowkidar. Today, every Indian is saying-#MainBhiChowkidar".
Many other political leaders have mocked the PM as well. Like Akhilesh Yadav, Chief of the Samajwadi Party, who said the lack of jobs had forced young men to take up jobs of watchmen.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 #AutismPower - Varun Sawant juggles multiple talents with great style
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Anybody Can Paint helps visually impaired people find the artists within
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Accessibility April 12, 2019 Worthy of international medals, but "mentally unsound" to vote – Why this election will elude Asha Kiran home residents
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Jallianwalah Bagh massacre, people pay tribute
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Strong links between diet & signs of autism, say experts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News