Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
March 19, 2019
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parikkar, who ruled the state for four times, passed away on Sunday. Parikkar was cremated on Monday and was given a state funeral with military honours. Parikkar was under treatment for pancreatic cancer and he lost his battle to the disease after months of treatment. Many political leaders including Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid their last tribute to Parikkar, one of the most loved politicians India has ever seen. Union Ministers Suresh Prabhu, Shripad Naik, Smrita Irani and Defence Minister Nirmala Seetharaman were amongst the other leaders who paid their tributes to Parikkar.
Paid tributes to my friend Shri Manohar Parrikar. He personified humility, simplicity and compassion. The good work he has done will be remembered for years to come-Chowkidar Narendra Modi, Indian Prime Minister
Parikkar’s body was kept at the Kala Academy on Monday morning. By 4.22 pm, his mortal remains were taken to SAG grounds near Miramar Beach for his funeral rites. He was cremated by 5 pm. There was a procession of hundreds of people raising slogans in favour of the late leader. Parikkar was the first Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) graduate to be part of Modi’s ministry.
“Manohar Parrikar leaves behind many admirers, many who looked upon him as an idol. My condolences to his loved ones, colleagues & supporters. Om Shanti”, tweeted Chowkidar Smriti Irani, Union Cabinet Minister of Textiles.
Parikkar belonged to centre ruling BJP party. Leaders have not yet arrived at a conclusion to who should be the next minister after Parikkar’s death.
Watch in Sign Language
- World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
June 16, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
June 16, 2019
- Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Maldives confers Modi with highest honour
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Providing service with care & compassion is the mantra for Walktors At Home
- Events June 13, 2019 Decoding Dementia
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Events June 11, 2019 From the ‘Whys’ to the ‘Hows’
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News