BGFI's session on STEM study - An Inclusive Avenue for the Blind
BGFI- Blind Graduates Forum of India brings another informative session! The session will be conducted by The Xavier’s Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged (XRCVC) as well as a few champions from the field will share their experiences with STEM.
What you can expect:
Sharing of the history on how XRCVC got into working in STEM education for the blind. The challenges that were faced and so on.
The modes being used currently by blind students to study STEM subjects (This includes short demo of writing of accessible Mathematical & Scientific expressions on the Computer in LaTeX)
- Demonstration of current technology that can be used to study Maths and Science efficiently The session will be covered by Rebecca Carvalho, a Consultant for the Math-Science Access Project with the XRCVC since 2014.
The session will be further be taken up by two passionate individuals pursuing Stem: Aditi Shah and Vidhya Yella Reddy
Aditi Shah is currently pursuing a Masters in Cyber Security at Georgia Institute of Technology in USA. She also owns a Masters and Bachelors in Information Technology from University of Mumbai. She has been an EC Council Certified Ethical Hacker and has worked for a Data Security company in Mumbai for about 5 years. She is passionate about Accessibility and volunteers with Coursera.org as a beta tester for ensuring accessibility of upcoming courses. She has been training visually impaired kids to use computers over weekends since last 8 years and also volunteers with Blind Graduate's Forum of India.Vidhya Yella Reddy is the co-founder of Vision Empower - a not for profit enterprise incubated at IIITB Innovation Center which focuses on bringing education in science and mathematics to students with visual impairment. She is currently a Research Fellow at Microsoft Research India. She has interned at Microsoft Research India and executed projects in collaboration with various research labs Such as university of Michigan, IIITB etc.
Join us for the session to know more about our young achievers..
- Starts on: Saturday, 23 Mar 2019 at 03:00 PM
- Ends on: Saturday, 23 Mar 2019 at 06:00 PM
- City: Mumbai
- Location: Xavier's Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged (XRCVC) St. Xavier's College 5, Mahapalika Marg
- Event Charges: Free
- Venue Accessibility: Contact Organizer
- Organizer Name: Xavier's Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged, Blind Graduates Forum of India
- Organizer Phone: 9892145699
- Organizer Website: http://www.xrcvc.org/
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 "Love can be limitless if people recognise, accept and celebrate a person with a difference" - Jasmina Khanna
- Headlines August 17, 2019 No Indian soldiers killed by Pakistan, says Indian Army
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Restrictions lifted in Jammu
- Accessibility August 16, 2019 Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 Hydrotherapist Amal Upadhyay is convinced about the healing powers of swimming
- Events August 14, 2019 Touch For Health Level 1
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News