Jet Airways suspends flights to 13 international routes
March 24, 2019
Jet Airways has suspended operations on 13 more international routes until the end of April. This comes after an earlier move to ground seven more planes due to non-payment of rentals. This takes the total number of aircraft to 54. Jet Airways has also reduced the number of flights on seven other overseas routes, mainly from Delhi and Mumbai.
In a statement, Jet Airways said,
An additional seven aircraft including two planes of JetLite, have been grounded due to non-payment of amounts outstanding to lessors under their respective lease agreements. - Jet Airways
Routes where services have been temporarily withdrawn include Pune-Singapore, which was launched in December 2018 as well as Pune-Abu Dhabi. It has already suspended services on the Mumbai-Manchester route. It has discontinued services from Delhi to Abu Dhabi, Dammam, Dhaka Hong Kong and Riyadh up to 30 April. Services on the Bangalore-Singapore route have also stopped. Flights on the Mumbai-Hong Kong and Kolkata-Dhaka services have also been suspended for the same period.
Jet Airways has now reduced its flights to one-fourth from over 600 daily flights. Now, just one-third of its fleet is operational.
The grounding of aircraft by Jet Airways has reduced the availability of seats in India by about a million in the past one month. This has deprived India of the distinction of being the world’s fastest expanding domestic aviation market.
At the same time, IndiGo’s flight cancellations due to crew shortage also contributed to the decline in capacity. IndiGo has announced a scheduled cancellation of 30 out of 1,300 daily flights due to shortage of pilots
Travel agents say the tourism sector will be impacted. "If this continues, we are looking at a situation where holiday plans of travellers will be affected and tourism sector will take a hit", said Sanjay Narula, Vice-President, Travel Agents Association of India.
Watch in Sign Language
- World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
June 16, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
June 16, 2019
- Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 11, 2019 25th World Cardiology Conference
- Headlines June 10, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Australia
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Understanding Fibromyalgia
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Rich tributes paid to veteran actor Girish Karnad
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News