Jet Airways suspends flights to 13 international routes
March 24, 2019
Jet Airways has suspended operations on 13 more international routes until the end of April. This comes after an earlier move to ground seven more planes due to non-payment of rentals. This takes the total number of aircraft to 54. Jet Airways has also reduced the number of flights on seven other overseas routes, mainly from Delhi and Mumbai.
In a statement, Jet Airways said,
An additional seven aircraft including two planes of JetLite, have been grounded due to non-payment of amounts outstanding to lessors under their respective lease agreements. - Jet Airways
Routes where services have been temporarily withdrawn include Pune-Singapore, which was launched in December 2018 as well as Pune-Abu Dhabi. It has already suspended services on the Mumbai-Manchester route. It has discontinued services from Delhi to Abu Dhabi, Dammam, Dhaka Hong Kong and Riyadh up to 30 April. Services on the Bangalore-Singapore route have also stopped. Flights on the Mumbai-Hong Kong and Kolkata-Dhaka services have also been suspended for the same period.
Jet Airways has now reduced its flights to one-fourth from over 600 daily flights. Now, just one-third of its fleet is operational.
The grounding of aircraft by Jet Airways has reduced the availability of seats in India by about a million in the past one month. This has deprived India of the distinction of being the world’s fastest expanding domestic aviation market.
At the same time, IndiGo’s flight cancellations due to crew shortage also contributed to the decline in capacity. IndiGo has announced a scheduled cancellation of 30 out of 1,300 daily flights due to shortage of pilots
Travel agents say the tourism sector will be impacted. "If this continues, we are looking at a situation where holiday plans of travellers will be affected and tourism sector will take a hit", said Sanjay Narula, Vice-President, Travel Agents Association of India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines April 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News