New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern wins praise for response to terror attack
March 25, 2019
The manner in which Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister, New Zealand has responded to the terror attack in her country has won global praise. Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum is among those to show his admiration for her support to the Muslim community after a gunman attacked two mosques on 15 March, killing 50 people.
The sheikh has projected her image on the famous Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest skyscraper to say thanks.
Thank you PM @jacindaardern and New Zealand for your sincere empathy and support that has won the respect of 1.5 billion Muslims after the terrorist attack that shook the Muslim community around the world. - Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum, Dubai ruler
A photo shows the building lit up with a picture of Ardern in a hijab, embracing a Muslim affected by the tragedy, under the word "peace" in Arabic and English.
Ardern has been widely praised for how she has handled the tragedy, meeting victims' families and moving to make gun laws stricter.
Over 18,000 people have signed two petitions calling for Ardern to get the Nobel Peace Prize. A French petition for Ardern to the Norwegian Nobel Committe, which selects recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize each year, had garnered almost 3,000 signatures by Saturday. Another change.org petition to the United Nations had almost 15,000 signatures.
The petition states: "If a Nobel Prize for Peace could be given to a spontaneous statement for wisdom and courage, rather to a person, New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern deserves it... Her strong leadership after the shootings in Christchurch, the first attack of its kind in New Zealand's modern history, could teach a thing or two to other world leaders who at times have come short when tragedy strikes."
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Jallianwalah Bagh massacre, people pay tribute
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News