New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern wins praise for response to terror attack
March 25, 2019
The manner in which Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister, New Zealand has responded to the terror attack in her country has won global praise. Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum is among those to show his admiration for her support to the Muslim community after a gunman attacked two mosques on 15 March, killing 50 people.
The sheikh has projected her image on the famous Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest skyscraper to say thanks.
Thank you PM @jacindaardern and New Zealand for your sincere empathy and support that has won the respect of 1.5 billion Muslims after the terrorist attack that shook the Muslim community around the world. - Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum, Dubai ruler
A photo shows the building lit up with a picture of Ardern in a hijab, embracing a Muslim affected by the tragedy, under the word "peace" in Arabic and English.
Ardern has been widely praised for how she has handled the tragedy, meeting victims' families and moving to make gun laws stricter.
Over 18,000 people have signed two petitions calling for Ardern to get the Nobel Peace Prize. A French petition for Ardern to the Norwegian Nobel Committe, which selects recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize each year, had garnered almost 3,000 signatures by Saturday. Another change.org petition to the United Nations had almost 15,000 signatures.
The petition states: "If a Nobel Prize for Peace could be given to a spontaneous statement for wisdom and courage, rather to a person, New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern deserves it... Her strong leadership after the shootings in Christchurch, the first attack of its kind in New Zealand's modern history, could teach a thing or two to other world leaders who at times have come short when tragedy strikes."
Watch in Sign Language
- World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
June 16, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
June 16, 2019
- Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Virat apologises for booing Indian fans
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Ride
- Education June 10, 2019 Kidsville Educational Academy offers a shoulder to children with disabilities, & families too
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Events June 13, 2019 SLD Awareness Programme
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Church in Ireland cancels invite to priest for comparing kids with autism to animals
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News