Death toll from Cyclone Idai in South Africa rises
March 25, 2019
Last week, South Africa was affected by one of the worst cyclones of the decade. The death toll due to Cyclone Idai has now risen to over 700with Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Malawi among the worst affected.
Thousands of people have been left homeless and many are stranded waiting for help. Lack of food and water is making things worse. While authorities say the situation is getting better, there is still lots to be done.
The outbreak of disease is looming large with cases of cholera reported in some affected areas. Rescue workers are trying to reach as many people as possible to ensure help reaches on time.
Many celebrities have appealed for help, including well-known actress Emma Watson.
In the wake of #CycloneIdai, my thoughts are with Mozambique, Zimbabwe & Malawi, a beautiful country that welcomed me so warmly in 2016. As the full scale of the disaster unfolds, please show your solidarity by donating via @decappeal now.- Emma Watson, Actor
The United Nations has also stepped in with help. There is no certainty about how many people have died as flood waters have not receded. The death toll is expected to rise in the coming days. Social media users are coming together to donate to rebuilding the affected areas.
Among the celebrities to have stepped in with appeals is actor Sam Hueghen, who said, “Please help people in Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe affected by #CycloneIdai. The full scale of the disaster is still unfolding but we can help".
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Strong links between diet & signs of autism, say experts
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News