Death toll from Cyclone Idai in South Africa rises
March 25, 2019
Last week, South Africa was affected by one of the worst cyclones of the decade. The death toll due to Cyclone Idai has now risen to over 700with Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Malawi among the worst affected.
Thousands of people have been left homeless and many are stranded waiting for help. Lack of food and water is making things worse. While authorities say the situation is getting better, there is still lots to be done.
The outbreak of disease is looming large with cases of cholera reported in some affected areas. Rescue workers are trying to reach as many people as possible to ensure help reaches on time.
Many celebrities have appealed for help, including well-known actress Emma Watson.
In the wake of #CycloneIdai, my thoughts are with Mozambique, Zimbabwe & Malawi, a beautiful country that welcomed me so warmly in 2016. As the full scale of the disaster unfolds, please show your solidarity by donating via @decappeal now.- Emma Watson, Actor
The United Nations has also stepped in with help. There is no certainty about how many people have died as flood waters have not receded. The death toll is expected to rise in the coming days. Social media users are coming together to donate to rebuilding the affected areas.
Among the celebrities to have stepped in with appeals is actor Sam Hueghen, who said, “Please help people in Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe affected by #CycloneIdai. The full scale of the disaster is still unfolding but we can help".
Watch in Sign Language
- World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
June 16, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
June 16, 2019
- Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Supreme Court orders release of arrested journalist
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News