United States steps up to blacklist Masood Azhar
March 29, 2019
Over the past many months, India has been requesting the United Nations (UN) to list Jaish-e-Mohammed Chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist. Even though most countries favoured India’s demand, China has been preventing this. Now, the United States, Britain and France are urging the UN Security Council to blacklist Azhar at the earliest. US drafted a circular with support from France and Britain against Azhar. A 15 member council wants Azhar to have a travel ban, freeze in his assets and deny possession of arms. Reacting to this, China said that US is complicating the issue and asked them to act cautiously. This hints that China is going to keep blocking move to mark Azhar as global terrorist
After the Pulwama attack on 14 February, India has requested UN to blacklist Azhar because Jaish-e-Mohammed was behind the attacks. India had support from US, France, Russia and Britain. But China intervened to stop the blacklisting. All these nations said that Jaish-e-Mohammed has ties with terror groups like Al-Qaeda which is a bigger threat to international peace and security.
This is awesome. US Secretary of State accuses China of Hypocrisy on Terror. Says, China is shielding islamic terrorists like Masood Azhar at UN while it makes proactive arrests of thousands of muslims at home-Chowkidhar Sridhar, Twitter User
Meanwhile, China said that they needed more time to conduct a thorough evaluation to why Azhar must be blacklisted. China was criticised by other nations for this move.
“In an unprecedented move, within a week of China's Veto on Masood. US, UK, France again circulates a New resolution at UN to blacklisted Azhar. Feels great that India has become a diplomatic superpower. Thank you @narendramodi”, tweeted Vikas Raina.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable India's deaf community to make an informed choice in this election
- Accessibility April 12, 2019 Worthy of international medals, but "mentally unsound" to vote – Why this election will elude Asha Kiran home residents
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Headlines April 13, 2019 SC to hear Modi biopic case on 15 April
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Don't play too safe with your money, look at ways to invest smartly
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News