Ashwin's dismissal of Butler against spirit of cricket: MCC
March 29, 2019
The manner in which Ravichandran Ashwin, captain of the Kings XI Punjab team bowled out Rajasthan Royals' batsman Jos Buttler in an Indian Premier League (IPL) match in Jaipur has been ruled as against the spirit of cricket by the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
It has gone back on its earlier verdict that said the rule is essential. On Wednesday, the MCC said it had changed its mind.
Having extensively reviewed the incident again and after further reflection we don't think it was within the spirit of the game. We believe the pause was too long between the time Ashwin reached the crease and the moment it was reasonable to expect the ball would be delivered. When Buttler could have reasonably expected the ball to be delivered, he was in his ground. - Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC)
The MCC went on to say, "It is also unfair, and against the spirit of cricket, for non-strikers to leave their ground too early. All these debates wouldn't be necessary if non-strikers remained in their ground until the ball is on its way down the pitch. This law is essential. Without it, non-strikers could back up at liberty, several yards down the pitch and a law is needed to prevent such action."
England batsman Buttler was run out by Ashwin as he backed-up. This incident was controversial as Buttler was still in his crease when Ashwin arrived. Ashwin then pull out of his action and waited for him to step forward before whipping off the bails.
The controversy has left the cricket fraternity divided.
Watch in Sign Language
- World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
June 16, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
June 16, 2019
- Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports June 13, 2019 Shekhar Naik Foundation gives hope to aspiring blind cricketers
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Events June 11, 2019 From the ‘Whys’ to the ‘Hows’
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News