Pakistan under focus as UN tells countries to act against terror groups
March 30, 2019
The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has ordered countries to pass laws to crack down on terror financing. The by ensuring they have laws to make it a serious crime.
The UNSC has adopted a resolution moved by France that calls on countries to "ensure that their domestic laws and regulations establish serious criminal offenses" to prosecute those who raise funds or offer economic support to terror outfits and terrorists.
The resolution also asks countries to set up financial intelligence units to track terrorism financing and to share information on their investigations. This is the first measure dedicated specifically to tackling the financing of terrorism.
India has welcomed the move and asked that it be implemented effectively. At the UNSC, India hit out at Pakistan, referring to it as a serial offender.
Terrorists are going to be ever more creative in finding ways to violate the rulebook. Also, the unfortunate reality is that States who are apologists for terrorists will continue to provide alibis to justify their actions and inaction too, as was done by a serial offender earlier today. - Syed Akbaruddin, India's Permanent Representative to the UN
Akbaruddin also said, "The proof of the pudding is in its eating, the utility of any council resolution will, therefore, be in its implementation...The Council can and needs to do a better job of overseeing the implementation of its resolutions relating to terrorist financing".
India has said that not obeying the sanctions puts all countries at risk of facing challenges from terror organizations that are well-funded and armed.
The resolution came just after a new push at the UNSC for action against Masood Azhar, head of Pakistan-based terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed, by the United States, Britain and France.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Headlines April 13, 2019 SC to hear Modi biopic case on 15 April
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Headlines April 12, 2019 First phase of 17th Loka Sabha elections completed
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News