Urmila Matondkar will contest for Congress from North Mumbai
March 30, 2019
After much speculation, Congress party has confirmed that Bollywood actress Urmila Matondkar will contest for the party from North Mumbai constituency in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections. Matondkar had officially joined Congress party earlier this week and was given a grand welcome by Congress President Rahul Gandhi. Matondkar will be contesting against BJP candidate Gokulnath Shetty.
The Central Election Committee has approved the candidature of Smt. Urmila Matondkar as Congress candidate to contest the ensuing general elections to the Lok Sabha from 26 – Mumbai North Parliamentary Constituency of Maharashtra-Mukul Wasnik, General Secretary, In charge, Central Election Committee
Matondkar had earlier said that she wants people to vote for her not because she comes from a film background, but based on what she can offer to the public. She added that she grew up in a family that believed in Congress ideologies and decided to step into the party after much thought.
“I welcome Urmila Matondkar's nomination as the Congress candidate for Mumbai North! Urmila will be a powerful voice for freedom of speech and expression in Parliament. We need artistes who will fight back against hate, against fear, against censorship”, tweeted Milind Deora, India's former Minister for Telecom, IT, Posts, Shipping, Ports & Member of Parliament.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Strong links between diet & signs of autism, say experts
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News