U.S moves to blacklist terrorist Masood Azhar
April 4, 2019
The United States government has said it will use all available resources to make sure that Masood Azhar, founder of the Jaish-e-Mohammad terror group is held accountable. This is after China claimed that “positive progress” has been made in resolving the issue of listing Azhar as a global terrorist. China also accused the US of complicating the matter by taking the matter directly to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
"After the application for designation of Azhar was proposed (in the 1267 committee), China is in close communication and coordination with various parties and made positive progress", said Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang, adding that the US knows that very well."
The United States has responded by saying:
While we strongly prefer that UNSC designations take place through the committee process, the United States and its allies and partners, including those on the UN Security Council, will utilize all available avenues to ensure that the founder and leader of the UN-designated terrorist organization JeM is held accountable by the international community. - United States State Department
The U.S also said that it had "circulated a draft UNSC resolution with UK and French support”.
The United States, France and the United Kingdom moved a draft resolution at the UNSC last week after they were angered by China’s unwillingness to agree to the designation of global terrorist for Azhar. The move to list Azhar was made after the Pulwama attack on a CRPF convoy in Jammu and Kashmir that killed 40 soldiers.
China has so far put a hold on four proposals to list Azhar a ‘global terrorist’ to support Pakistan's claim that the terrorist label only be applied provided India carries out a military de-escalation on the border and resumes bilateral dialogue with Pakistan on all outstanding issues including Kashmir.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Share funding details, court tells political parties
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 This programme claims to empower kids with developmental disorders through virtual training
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News