U.S moves to blacklist terrorist Masood Azhar
April 4, 2019
The United States government has said it will use all available resources to make sure that Masood Azhar, founder of the Jaish-e-Mohammad terror group is held accountable. This is after China claimed that “positive progress” has been made in resolving the issue of listing Azhar as a global terrorist. China also accused the US of complicating the matter by taking the matter directly to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
"After the application for designation of Azhar was proposed (in the 1267 committee), China is in close communication and coordination with various parties and made positive progress", said Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang, adding that the US knows that very well."
The United States has responded by saying:
While we strongly prefer that UNSC designations take place through the committee process, the United States and its allies and partners, including those on the UN Security Council, will utilize all available avenues to ensure that the founder and leader of the UN-designated terrorist organization JeM is held accountable by the international community. - United States State Department
The U.S also said that it had "circulated a draft UNSC resolution with UK and French support”.
The United States, France and the United Kingdom moved a draft resolution at the UNSC last week after they were angered by China’s unwillingness to agree to the designation of global terrorist for Azhar. The move to list Azhar was made after the Pulwama attack on a CRPF convoy in Jammu and Kashmir that killed 40 soldiers.
China has so far put a hold on four proposals to list Azhar a ‘global terrorist’ to support Pakistan's claim that the terrorist label only be applied provided India carries out a military de-escalation on the border and resumes bilateral dialogue with Pakistan on all outstanding issues including Kashmir.
Watch in Sign Language
- World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
June 16, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
June 16, 2019
- Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Rich tributes paid to veteran actor Girish Karnad
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Budding poet Neerada uses words to shatter notions about autism
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan donates to families of Pulwama martyrs
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Education June 13, 2019 #ChangeMakers - National award winning teacher Manju Arif calls children the biggest inclusion champions
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News