NaMO TV launch ahead of polls sparks controversy
April 5, 2019
The Election Commission of India (ECI) has asked for a report on NaMo TV from the Information and Broadcasting Ministry after the Opposition alleged that the ruling party has no business starting a channel to push its election campaign as this was a serious violation of the model code of conduct in place for the April-May national election.
The 24-hour channel borrows PM Modi's initials and his image for its logo and is available on DTH and cable TV platforms. The channel has been airing his speeches and interviews of BJP leaders. It is unclear who the owner of the channel is and the funder.
Soon after its launch, PM Modi tweeted urging people to watch his interaction with chowkidars live on NaMoTV. He said, "The day we were most looking forward to is here! At 5 PM, lakhs of Chowkidars from different parts of India will interact in the historic #MainBhiChowkidar programme. This is an interaction you must not miss. Watch it live on the NaMoApp or NaMo TV."
Following the tweet there was outrage among political parties and the media, following which DTH service provider Tata Sky issued a clarification regarding its earlier tweet saying NaMo TV is a "Hindi news service which provides the latest breaking news on national politics"
Later it clarified to a new channel that NaMo TV is not a Hindi News service.
NaMo TV is not a Hindi News service. If someone in the frontline at Tata Sky has tweeted or said that it is a news service, it is a mistake. - Harit Nagpal, Tata Sky CEO
Tata Sky also said that the feed for NaMo TV coming from the BJP via Internet and that special services do not need a license.
NaMoTv was launched on 31 March and has been promoted by the BJP and other related accounts. The Congress and the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) have complained to the ECI against the channel.
The model code of conduct came into effect on 10 March after the EC announced a seven-phase elections from 11 April to 19 May.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Jallianwalah Bagh massacre, people pay tribute
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 Voter Helpline in ISL aims to enable India's deaf community to make an informed choice in this election
- Accessibility April 12, 2019 Worthy of international medals, but "mentally unsound" to vote – Why this election will elude Asha Kiran home residents
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News