NaMO TV launch ahead of polls sparks controversy
April 5, 2019
The Election Commission of India (ECI) has asked for a report on NaMo TV from the Information and Broadcasting Ministry after the Opposition alleged that the ruling party has no business starting a channel to push its election campaign as this was a serious violation of the model code of conduct in place for the April-May national election.
The 24-hour channel borrows PM Modi's initials and his image for its logo and is available on DTH and cable TV platforms. The channel has been airing his speeches and interviews of BJP leaders. It is unclear who the owner of the channel is and the funder.
Soon after its launch, PM Modi tweeted urging people to watch his interaction with chowkidars live on NaMoTV. He said, "The day we were most looking forward to is here! At 5 PM, lakhs of Chowkidars from different parts of India will interact in the historic #MainBhiChowkidar programme. This is an interaction you must not miss. Watch it live on the NaMoApp or NaMo TV."
Following the tweet there was outrage among political parties and the media, following which DTH service provider Tata Sky issued a clarification regarding its earlier tweet saying NaMo TV is a "Hindi news service which provides the latest breaking news on national politics"
Later it clarified to a new channel that NaMo TV is not a Hindi News service.
NaMo TV is not a Hindi News service. If someone in the frontline at Tata Sky has tweeted or said that it is a news service, it is a mistake. - Harit Nagpal, Tata Sky CEO
Tata Sky also said that the feed for NaMo TV coming from the BJP via Internet and that special services do not need a license.
NaMoTv was launched on 31 March and has been promoted by the BJP and other related accounts. The Congress and the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) have complained to the ECI against the channel.
The model code of conduct came into effect on 10 March after the EC announced a seven-phase elections from 11 April to 19 May.
Watch in Sign Language
- World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
June 16, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
June 16, 2019
- Shikhar Dhawan will not be replaced, says Virat
June 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 16, 2019 World Cup: India vs Pakistan today
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Events June 12, 2019 Messengers on Cycles 2019: Cyclothon event
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Abilympics 2019 is an opportunity for disabled people to show their mettle
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Get-hooked June 10, 2019 Accept, Respect, Empower each other - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
- Events June 13, 2019 Workshop on Trust Deed and Support Circles for Special Needs
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News