Kerala outraged over child's murder by mother's friend
April 8, 2019
It's a story that's been making headlines in Kerala for over a week now. The brutal assault suffered by a seven-year-old by his mother’s lover has horrified people across the state. The child was beaten so badly that he suffered brain injuries and died in hospital.
The accused, Arun Anand, is in police custody for one week now. The child, who was ventilator support, finally succumbed. He was attacked on 28 March by Anand, who was drunk. Anand thrashed the child and hit his head on the floor repeatedly, leading to the skull cracking in places.
When Anand and the child's mother went to the hospital, they lied saying that he fell accidentally. But doctors saw the injuries and got suspicious. They informed the police, who interviewed the child's younger brother. The four-year-old revealed what actually happened. CCTV footage shows that Anand and the child's mother delayed treatment by arguing with police and hospital authorities.
According to the police, the mother of the seven-year-old boy rushed to the local hospital early Thursday stating that her son had injured himself in a fall. However, the doctor on duty realised that the child had sustained severe brain damage and counted several blunt force injuries on his body. He refused to take the parental account of the child’s injuries at face value. X-ray interpretation-based medical detective work convinced the doctor that somebody had severely battered the child. He alerted the police. - Anand Gopinathan, Journalist
Anand has almost seven cases against him and is known as Cobra. He is a notorious criminal from Thiruvananthapuram and police say he was also sexually assaulting the two boys with the mother's knowledge.
The victim’s father, who ran a workshop, died of a heart attack last year. After this, the mother started living with Anand. The police are also probing whether Anand murdered the husband.
The case has created outrage among people in the state who are taking to social media to express their sadness.
Watch in Sign Language
- India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
June 24, 2019
- Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
June 24, 2019
- Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
June 24, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Sustainable, eco-friendly vocational training for disabled adults, the Aarambh way
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
- Education June 19, 2019 Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News