Hi Bhavna, I am the mother of an autistic child. My father, brother and sister-in-law don't support us in any way. How should I make them include my child?
April 10, 2019
Question: Hi Bhavna, I am the mother of 9-year-old autistic child. My question is regarding my father, brother and sister-in-law, who are not including me and my child in the family. We never fought with each other, but they don't contact us and support us in any of the way, not even moral support. Since my son got diagnosed with autism at the age of four, we are fighting many battles and helping our child all alone. How should I make them accept and include my child in the family? I am very stressed because of the disrespect. Please help me.
Answer: Dear Madam, I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. Raising a child with autism comes with many stresses and family support makes a big difference. What you are facing is experienced by many parents, mainly due to stigma. There are two things you could do.
One is to approach a relative who is respected/trusted by your family and explain the situation to him/her and see if they may be willing to act as an intermediary. This could help your family air their reservations openly. The other is ask your child's therapist or counsellor to speak to them and see if that helps.
It's possible none of this works in which you must seek the support of a parent network in your city or state. There are many such networks that are available on Facebook whom you could reach out to but it is important you seek this so that you can support your child better. Your child is looking to you for help and you must stay strong and positive.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
- #InclusionChamps – Sabke Liye initiative wins Future Retail Limited national disability award
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Kamal Nath’s nephew arrested for fraud
- Accessibility August 22, 2019 Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
- Parasports August 16, 2019 Victorious India Divyang Cricket Team to land in Mumbai tomorrow
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
- Lifestyle August 22, 2019 Kurtas for men - Feast your eyes on some amazing designs
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Narendra Modi speaks to Donald Trump
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Ask-Bhavna May 29, 2019
Hi Bhavna, I am 40 years old and have spina bifida from birth. My lower body is affected. I found out about wheelchair cricket from YouTube and am excited that this is played in India. I want to play too. I have an athletic build and have been playing cricket for 20 years with friends. Can you help me with some contacts? Thanks. Amar Krishna.
Newz Hook - Accessible News