SC refuses to stay release of Modi biopic
April 10, 2019
The Supreme Court has ruled in favour of the release of movie based on the life of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The court refused to stay the release of the biopic ‘PM Narendra Modi ’ as was demanded by the Congress party through a writ petition.
Congress had also appealed to the Election Commission to stop the release of the film as it may manipulate the masses before the general elections.
The court heard the petition yesterday and stated that the release of the movie is a matter that concerns the censor board- CBFC and the Election Commission. "Too much time of the court is being taken up in non-issues.” Said Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi
The court also said that a decision cannot be made against the movie without substantial proof about its content and only the trailer or promo video is not enough for judgment.
The makers of the controversial biopic have announced that the film will be released across India and abroad on 11 April.
The film stars Vivek Oberoi in the lead role and is based on the various incidents taken from the life of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Social media users had a lot of things to say about the verdict of the top court.
Everly Knowles @2talkon tweeted, “Again, SC refuses to move on important issues. Here's the thing CJI, if EC or censor board was doing its job, there was no need 2 come to SC. Aren't you even going to rap on EC's knuckles for this egregious overlook? #ModiBIoPIC #GoBackFascistModi”
Watch in Sign Language
- Felt suicidal after India loss, says Pakistan cricket coach
June 26, 2019
- 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
June 26, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Children feel like superheroes in this lovely photoshoot initiative started by American couple
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News