Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
April 17, 2019
With voting in Kolar, Karnataka, barely 24 hours away, Ramanjinappa R is an anxious man. He is making his debut in the politics from this prestigious seat and if the first candidate with an disability in this constituency.
Ramanji, as he is popularly known, is a candidate for Uttama Prajaakeeya Party (UPP). Born and brought up in Kolar, Ramanji left a well paying job in Bengaluru to throw his hat in the ring as he wants to help out the community. Inspired by an interview with UPP founder Upendra, he decided to join the party.
What attracted me towards UPP was their simplicity. Until then I had never really thought about politics though I was keen on helping other people. Moreover, politics has turned out to be a business that reaches out only to the rich and elite. Poor people are sidelined and they are remembered only during elections when their votes matter. Our party aims to bridge that gap and work together with poor people by giving them a chance. We want party members who can work for people and believes in our ideologies. -Ramanjinappa R, Lok Sabha Candidate, Kolar
Ramanji is an integral part of the well known organization Divyang Myithiri Sports Academy that trains wheelchair cricket aspirants. Apart from his family, he counts upon the members of this organization for support. If elected, Ramanji has promised to work at finding a solution to the water crisis in Kolar. Water scarcity is a major problem here, something previous governments have been unable to find a solution to. Ramanji has also promised to create job opportunities for people.
“Kolar voters are very supportive and encouraging. They look at me beyond my disability", says Ramanji. "I hope I can lend them a helping hand soon. We want a country without red-tapism and one where people do not have to pay bribes to get their things done at government establishments. Politicians are treated like leaders where they control everything. We are servants of our citizens and are supposed to reach out to them every time they need us. That is what our party UPP also highlights”.
Shivprasad S, Co-Founder, Divyang Myithiri and a close friend says Ramanji is truly committed to serving the people of his constituency.
“Since Ramanji was born and brought up in Kolar, he knows what the people in his constituency Kolar wants. He comes from a farmer family and has been working closely with farmers as well. I believe Ramanji is going to do great things for the people when he comes into power”, says Shivprasad.
Win or lose, by standing for election, Ramanji has made a powerful statement about inclusion and his presence is a positive sign of the disabled community seeking a space in the country's political space.
Watch in Sign Language
- #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
May 19, 2019
- Understanding Chronic Pain
May 19, 2019
- Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
May 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 16, 2019 Violence in West Bengal over vandalising of iconic statue
- Technology May 14, 2019 Google's Android Q to introduce Live Captions and Subtitles to all types of content
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Accessibility May 17, 2019 Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
- Get-hooked May 14, 2019 Unique research project brings together experts to understand how tech can help improve lives of disabled people
- Employment May 17, 2019 La-Monnaie Skills enables disabled youth to flower into resourceful, contributing citizens
- Headlines May 15, 2019 No chance of a Third Front says DMK leader Stalin
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya apologizes for Godse comments
- Events May 14, 2019 Workshop: Enhancing Outcomes in Inclusive Education for Special Educational Needs
- Technology May 15, 2019 Reserve Bank of India suggests app to help visually impaired people identify rupee notes
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News