Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
April 14, 2019
Union Minister Maneka Gandhi, who is contesting the national election from Sultanpur, has been served with a show-cause notice by the District Magistrate of the area. This is after a report was sent to the Election Commission after she was seen on camera telling a gathering of Muslims that if they did not vote for her, she would not be responsive to their demands.
She also added, "I have already won this election, now it is for you to decide".
B R Tiwari, Additional Chief Election Officer, said,
The Election Commission has taken cognisance of the matter. District Magistrate, Sultanpur has issued a show-cause notice to her and a report has been sent to the poll body. - BR Tiwari, Additional Chief Election Officer
Gandhi later claimed that her words had been twisted. "I love Muslims and I had myself called a meeting of the BJP's minority cell. I only meant to say that I am winning the elections and their participation would be like 'daal pe chaunka'."
In the video clip that was shared widely on social media, Gandhi can be heard saying, "I am winning. I am winning because of the love and support of people. But if my victory is without Muslims, I won't feel that good. Dil khatta ho jayega (Things will become sour). Then when a Muslim comes to me for work, I think let it be, how does it matter. It's all give and take, isn't it? We aren't all sons of Mahatma Gandhi, are we? (laughter). It's not that we keep on giving and then losing in the election. This victory will happen with or without you."
She also added, "I have already won the elections, but you will need me. This is your chance to lay the foundation. When the election comes and this booth throws up 100 votes or 50 votes, and then you come to me for work we will see...I don't see any divides, I see only pain, sadness and love. So it is up to you..."
The Congress party called her remarks "scandalous" and party leader Randeep Surjewala called for strict action for using words that are "dividing people".
Gandhi began her campaign from the Sultanpur seat about 10 days ago. The seat is currently held by her son Varun Gandhi. For this election, her son has shifted back to Pilbhit.
Watch in Sign Language
- Virat Kohli fastest to score 11,000 ODI runs
June 18, 2019
- Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
June 18, 2019
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar out for 2 matches
June 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology June 13, 2019 #TechThursdays - EMx turns the spotlight on early intervention & inclusive education in the 3rd edition
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Virat apologises for booing Indian fans
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Education June 16, 2019 Delhi University clarifies rules regarding disabled certificate validity for admissions
- Get-hooked June 12, 2019 Mumbaikar Karan Shahh honoured with Bharat Prerna Award 2019
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News