Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
April 14, 2019
Union Minister Maneka Gandhi, who is contesting the national election from Sultanpur, has been served with a show-cause notice by the District Magistrate of the area. This is after a report was sent to the Election Commission after she was seen on camera telling a gathering of Muslims that if they did not vote for her, she would not be responsive to their demands.
She also added, "I have already won this election, now it is for you to decide".
B R Tiwari, Additional Chief Election Officer, said,
The Election Commission has taken cognisance of the matter. District Magistrate, Sultanpur has issued a show-cause notice to her and a report has been sent to the poll body. - BR Tiwari, Additional Chief Election Officer
Gandhi later claimed that her words had been twisted. "I love Muslims and I had myself called a meeting of the BJP's minority cell. I only meant to say that I am winning the elections and their participation would be like 'daal pe chaunka'."
In the video clip that was shared widely on social media, Gandhi can be heard saying, "I am winning. I am winning because of the love and support of people. But if my victory is without Muslims, I won't feel that good. Dil khatta ho jayega (Things will become sour). Then when a Muslim comes to me for work, I think let it be, how does it matter. It's all give and take, isn't it? We aren't all sons of Mahatma Gandhi, are we? (laughter). It's not that we keep on giving and then losing in the election. This victory will happen with or without you."
She also added, "I have already won the elections, but you will need me. This is your chance to lay the foundation. When the election comes and this booth throws up 100 votes or 50 votes, and then you come to me for work we will see...I don't see any divides, I see only pain, sadness and love. So it is up to you..."
The Congress party called her remarks "scandalous" and party leader Randeep Surjewala called for strict action for using words that are "dividing people".
Gandhi began her campaign from the Sultanpur seat about 10 days ago. The seat is currently held by her son Varun Gandhi. For this election, her son has shifted back to Pilbhit.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Headlines April 12, 2019 First phase of 17th Loka Sabha elections completed
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 #AutismPower - Varun Sawant juggles multiple talents with great style
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 How to help a person with autism feel calm
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Accessibility April 12, 2019 Worthy of international medals, but "mentally unsound" to vote – Why this election will elude Asha Kiran home residents
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News