Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
April 14, 2019
Union Minister Maneka Gandhi, who is contesting the national election from Sultanpur, has been served with a show-cause notice by the District Magistrate of the area. This is after a report was sent to the Election Commission after she was seen on camera telling a gathering of Muslims that if they did not vote for her, she would not be responsive to their demands.
She also added, "I have already won this election, now it is for you to decide".
B R Tiwari, Additional Chief Election Officer, said,
The Election Commission has taken cognisance of the matter. District Magistrate, Sultanpur has issued a show-cause notice to her and a report has been sent to the poll body. - BR Tiwari, Additional Chief Election Officer
Gandhi later claimed that her words had been twisted. "I love Muslims and I had myself called a meeting of the BJP's minority cell. I only meant to say that I am winning the elections and their participation would be like 'daal pe chaunka'."
In the video clip that was shared widely on social media, Gandhi can be heard saying, "I am winning. I am winning because of the love and support of people. But if my victory is without Muslims, I won't feel that good. Dil khatta ho jayega (Things will become sour). Then when a Muslim comes to me for work, I think let it be, how does it matter. It's all give and take, isn't it? We aren't all sons of Mahatma Gandhi, are we? (laughter). It's not that we keep on giving and then losing in the election. This victory will happen with or without you."
She also added, "I have already won the elections, but you will need me. This is your chance to lay the foundation. When the election comes and this booth throws up 100 votes or 50 votes, and then you come to me for work we will see...I don't see any divides, I see only pain, sadness and love. So it is up to you..."
The Congress party called her remarks "scandalous" and party leader Randeep Surjewala called for strict action for using words that are "dividing people".
Gandhi began her campaign from the Sultanpur seat about 10 days ago. The seat is currently held by her son Varun Gandhi. For this election, her son has shifted back to Pilbhit.
Watch in Sign Language
- Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
August 22, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 21, 2019 Chandrayaan-2 enters Moon’s orbit
- Technology August 21, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Bleetech’s human-centric approach wins them Universal Design Award 2019
- Events August 22, 2019 Creative Pattern Workshop For Individuals with Special Needs
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Lifestyle August 22, 2019 Kurtas for men - Feast your eyes on some amazing designs
- Headlines August 16, 2019 Virat Kohli sets new record
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Pakistan to seek help of world court on J&K
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News