Jallianwalah Bagh massacre, people pay tribute
April 14, 2019
It has been 100 years since the Jallianwalah Bagh Massacre took place which is one of the cruellest acts of the British during their era in India. Hundreds of people paid tribute at the memorial at Amritsar. British Prime Minister Theresa May said that the massacre is one of the biggest scars of the British rule in India. But she refused to give an apology.
Vice-President of India Venkaiah Naidu, Congress President Rahul Gandhi and Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh visited the memorial to pay their tributes.
Today is the 100th anniversary of the #JallianwalaBaghMassacre. My solemn tribute to the victims of that horrific day. On this occasion, I also offer my deepest respect to #RabindranathTagore, who gave up his knighthood to protest against this massacre-Mamata Banerjee, Chief Minister of West Bengal
In the dastardly incident that happened in the year 1919, hundreds of people were shot dead by British during a peaceful protest in Amritsar. At least 400 people lost their lives in the massacre. The incident still remains as one of the darkest times in Indian history.
“Today, on #JallianwalaBaghMassacre centenary, remember the Hindu-Muslim unity of the freedom fighters, which the British and RSS feared then and BJP and RSS fear now. Resolve to punish Modi, Shah, Maneka, for their communal anti constitutional hate-speech. #IndiaVotesAgainstHate”, tweeted Kavita Krishnan, Secretary, All India Progressive Women’s Association.
Relatives of those who died in the massacre said that it is high time that the British apologises for the act.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Headlines April 15, 2019 IPL 2019 RCB wins 1st match
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
- Headlines April 12, 2019 First phase of 17th Loka Sabha elections completed
- Accessibility April 14, 2019 Accessibility issues reported from across India on first phase of voting
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Get-hooked April 12, 2019 Strong links between diet & signs of autism, say experts
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News