Jallianwalah Bagh massacre, people pay tribute
April 14, 2019
It has been 100 years since the Jallianwalah Bagh Massacre took place which is one of the cruellest acts of the British during their era in India. Hundreds of people paid tribute at the memorial at Amritsar. British Prime Minister Theresa May said that the massacre is one of the biggest scars of the British rule in India. But she refused to give an apology.
Vice-President of India Venkaiah Naidu, Congress President Rahul Gandhi and Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh visited the memorial to pay their tributes.
Today is the 100th anniversary of the #JallianwalaBaghMassacre. My solemn tribute to the victims of that horrific day. On this occasion, I also offer my deepest respect to #RabindranathTagore, who gave up his knighthood to protest against this massacre-Mamata Banerjee, Chief Minister of West Bengal
In the dastardly incident that happened in the year 1919, hundreds of people were shot dead by British during a peaceful protest in Amritsar. At least 400 people lost their lives in the massacre. The incident still remains as one of the darkest times in Indian history.
“Today, on #JallianwalaBaghMassacre centenary, remember the Hindu-Muslim unity of the freedom fighters, which the British and RSS feared then and BJP and RSS fear now. Resolve to punish Modi, Shah, Maneka, for their communal anti constitutional hate-speech. #IndiaVotesAgainstHate”, tweeted Kavita Krishnan, Secretary, All India Progressive Women’s Association.
Relatives of those who died in the massacre said that it is high time that the British apologises for the act.
Watch in Sign Language
- Felt suicidal after India loss, says Pakistan cricket coach
June 26, 2019
- 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
June 26, 2019
- Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Encephalitis deaths rise across Bihar, M.P under alert
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Nippon Paint launches SAHYOG programme to empower youth with disabilities
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Pakistan gets warning to curb terrorism by October
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Aussie player Steve Smith praises Virat
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News