Hello Bhavna. I am mother to a child with Down syndrome. I didn't know how to educate her as per her understanding level. Can she cope with the curriculum of the state board in Tamil Nadu?
April 17, 2019
Answer - Thank you for reaching out. Educating a child with Down syndrome in a mainstream school set up comes with some challenges but the good news is that ever since the government categorised Down syndrome under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016, there is much greater awareness and openness among mainstream schools about educating children with Down Syndrome.
Many schools include them with other children in the same classroom and the teachers have customised lesson plans for them.
I would suggest that you reach out to the Down Syndrome Federation of India (DSFI), which has its headquarters in Chennai for information and support. They have associations in different parts of Tamil Nadu as well. You can speak to them for help with many aspects that can help your child, including the schools that will be suited for her needs.
You can contact DSFI here - http://www.downsyndrome.in/contact-us.php
Watch in Sign Language
- Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
May 23, 2019
- Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
May 22, 2019
- Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
May 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology May 23, 2019 #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Indian actors shine at Cannes festival 2019
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines May 24, 2019 PM Modi's victory speech - Key Highlights
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - From anxiety to empowerment, the journey of Latha Venkatesan
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Ask-bhavna May 15, 2019
Hello Bhavna. My name is Syed Reyaz and I am working in the Fire & Emergency Department in Jammu and Kashmir. I am a fireman and I fell from the ladder on duty while firefighting. I have suffered a spinal cord injury but my department cannot help me. I don’t have Mediclaim either. What can I do?
Ask-bhavna February 27, 2019
I have a 13-year-old daughter who is physically disabled. She finds it hard to make friends and suffers from low self-esteem. She hates going to school as she feels that her classmates make fun of her. She has become quiet even at home and does not engage with any of the family members. Please help
Newz Hook - Accessible News