Hello Bhavna. I am mother to a child with Down syndrome. I didn't know how to educate her as per her understanding level. Can she cope with the curriculum of the state board in Tamil Nadu?
April 17, 2019
Answer - Thank you for reaching out. Educating a child with Down syndrome in a mainstream school set up comes with some challenges but the good news is that ever since the government categorised Down syndrome under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016, there is much greater awareness and openness among mainstream schools about educating children with Down Syndrome.
Many schools include them with other children in the same classroom and the teachers have customised lesson plans for them.
I would suggest that you reach out to the Down Syndrome Federation of India (DSFI), which has its headquarters in Chennai for information and support. They have associations in different parts of Tamil Nadu as well. You can speak to them for help with many aspects that can help your child, including the schools that will be suited for her needs.
You can contact DSFI here - http://www.downsyndrome.in/contact-us.php
Watch in Sign Language
- Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
July 15, 2019
- Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
July 13, 2019
- Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
July 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment July 12, 2019 These disabled women are making prosthetic aids that are enabling mobility for others
- Headlines July 14, 2019 Kumaraswamy calls for floor test amid political crisis
- Get-hooked July 13, 2019 #RareDiseases - Organisation for Rare Diseases in India is out to change perceptions
- Headlines July 12, 2019 Virat shares message with fans after loss
- Accessibility July 15, 2019 Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
- Events July 11, 2019 Workshop: Behavior as a communication tool
- Accessibility July 11, 2019 Tamil Nadu government fails to introduce special courts, groups demands speedy action
- Events July 11, 2019 Swaradhar - Manthan 2019
- Events July 11, 2019 Gala Dance Party
- Parasports July 9, 2019 Ahead of crucial World Cup match, India's disabled cricketers have tips for Team India
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News