Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
April 17, 2019
Poonam Sinha, wife of actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha, has joined the Samajwadi Party. She is likely to contest from Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh. Just last week Shatrughan Sinha joined the Congress after quitting the BJP, of which he had been member for almost 30 years.
Poonam Sinha was welcomed into the party by Dimple Yadav, wife of Samajwadi chief Akhilesh Yadav. Nominations for Lucknow will close tomorrow on 18 April.
There are reports that the alliance of the Samajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party and Rashtriya Lok Dal in Uttar Pradesh could choose Poonam Sinha as their candidate against Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh of the BJP.
Lucknow is a prestigious state the BJP has held since 1991. Atal Bihari Vajpayee held it from 1991 to 2009 and since then Rajnath Singh has been winning the seat.
69-year-old Poonam Sinha is a former model and actor making her entry in politics. Many believe that by fielding Poonam Sinha the party is hoping to make it harder for Rajnath Singh to win easily in a seat that he has always done well in
The Congress is said to be unlikely to field anyone from this seat.
Announcing her entry, a senior SP leader said,
Poonam Sinha ji will be the SP-BSP-RLD candidate from Lucknow. She will file nomination on April 18. We appeal to the Congress that do not field your candidate from here so that BJP can be defeated. - Ravidas Mehrotra, Samajwadi Party leader
This is likely to make it one of the most high profile one on one campaigns in the general elections.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education May 17, 2019 'Kannada Pustaka' open online library is empowering thousands of visually impaired students
- Get-hooked May 15, 2019 Some tips to support children with multiple disabilities
- Headlines May 17, 2019 PM promises to build statue of reformer Vidyasagar
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 In a first, people with disabilities attend the famous Thrissur Pooram
- Get-hooked May 13, 2019 Find out how Anjan breathes life into his paintings & caricatures
- Employment May 17, 2019 La-Monnaie Skills enables disabled youth to flower into resourceful, contributing citizens
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Get-hooked May 17, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Accessibility May 13, 2019 Inclusive education should go beyond words - Guest Column by Sharada Devi V
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Virat is 1st cricketer with 100 million fans on social media
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News