Shatrughan Sinha's wife joins Samajwadi Party
April 17, 2019
Poonam Sinha, wife of actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha, has joined the Samajwadi Party. She is likely to contest from Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh. Just last week Shatrughan Sinha joined the Congress after quitting the BJP, of which he had been member for almost 30 years.
Poonam Sinha was welcomed into the party by Dimple Yadav, wife of Samajwadi chief Akhilesh Yadav. Nominations for Lucknow will close tomorrow on 18 April.
There are reports that the alliance of the Samajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party and Rashtriya Lok Dal in Uttar Pradesh could choose Poonam Sinha as their candidate against Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh of the BJP.
Lucknow is a prestigious state the BJP has held since 1991. Atal Bihari Vajpayee held it from 1991 to 2009 and since then Rajnath Singh has been winning the seat.
69-year-old Poonam Sinha is a former model and actor making her entry in politics. Many believe that by fielding Poonam Sinha the party is hoping to make it harder for Rajnath Singh to win easily in a seat that he has always done well in
The Congress is said to be unlikely to field anyone from this seat.
Announcing her entry, a senior SP leader said,
Poonam Sinha ji will be the SP-BSP-RLD candidate from Lucknow. She will file nomination on April 18. We appeal to the Congress that do not field your candidate from here so that BJP can be defeated. - Ravidas Mehrotra, Samajwadi Party leader
This is likely to make it one of the most high profile one on one campaigns in the general elections.
Watch in Sign Language
- 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
July 19, 2019
- Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
July 18, 2019
- Dhoni unlikely for next tour, to be part of transitioning phase
July 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Some tips to help a child with Down syndrome sleep better
- Events July 16, 2019 Open Voices Conference
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Over 50 people dead, 30 missing in Nepal floods
- Headlines July 15, 2019 ‘Chandrayaan 2’ launch called off after technical slag
- Headlines July 15, 2019 Press Club of India supports media boycott of Kangana
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Pakistan opens airspace after 140 days
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 An instinctive, nurturing approach enables this music teacher to unearth talents in disabled students
- Events July 16, 2019 International Autism Conference
- Technology July 12, 2019 Excessive TV watching could trigger symptoms of ADHD in kids, says study
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Disabled people put up remarkable performances at talent show in New Delhi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News