Google bans TikTok in India
April 18, 2019
People in India can no longer access Tik Tok. Google has blocked access to the highly popular video app TikTok in India following a Madras High Court directive to prohibit its downloads.
This move came hours after court turned down a request by Chinese company Bytedance Technology to suspend a ban on its TikTok app. This puts a major market in jeopardy for the company. The court asked the Centre to ban TikTok on the grounds that it promoted pornography and made child users vulnerable to sexual predators.
The court was responding to a public interest litigation from a person. The Centre had sent a letter to Apple and Google to abide by the High Court's order. The app is no longer available on Google's Play store in India.
The Madras High Court had ordered a ban on TikTok in early April as it said the content was inappropriate. It had pornography available for access to children.
By becoming addicted to TikTok App, and similar apps, or cyber games, the future of the youngsters and mindset of the children are spoiled. Majority of the teens are playing pranks, gaffing around with duet videos and sharing with split screen to the strangers. The children who use the said application are vulnerable and may expose them to sexual predators. - Madras High Court
TikTok allows users to create and share short videos with special effects and had become hugely popular in India. Many politicians criticised it as they felt the content is inappropriate. It had been downloaded more than 240 million times in India.
In January 2019, over 30 million users in India installed it, 12 times more than in the same month last year. Jokes, clips and footage related to India's movie industry can be found on the app.
In an earlier statement TikTok said it had faith in the Indian judicial system and was "optimistic about an outcome that would be well received by millions" of its users. It also said it employs over 250 people in India and had plans for more investment.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Parenting Corner - Feeling Guilty
- Events May 15, 2019 Summer camp
- Accessibility May 13, 2019 Do more than reserve coaches, disabled community tell Indian Railways
- Headlines May 16, 2019 Saurav Ganguly says Pakistan is a World Cup favourite
- Employment May 16, 2019 Umbrella By Differently Abled empowers people with spinal cord injuries
- Events May 16, 2019 Na Main Na Hain
- Get-hooked May 16, 2019 #BeingMom - What makes Nalini Srivastava such a power mom?
- Headlines May 14, 2019 Sri Lanka suspends social media after anti-Muslim riots
- Technology May 15, 2019 Reserve Bank of India suggests app to help visually impaired people identify rupee notes
- Headlines May 13, 2019 Fate of prominent leaders decided on 6th phase of voting
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News